Good Beginner fish/aquarium?

Millie22

Reefing newb
I did do some reading, but I am curious as to the opinions of a community of fishkeepers. As a novice to this hobby, what size tank should I use to start? I can't go very big since I have to consider having to move and must be able to transport it with relative ease.(not that transporting fish is ever really easy, but ...)

Would something like a 25-30 gallon be ok? I am not interested in keeping a large amount of fish at first. I would be satisfied with one or two as long as my aquarium was established and looked nice.

I was also curious as to what everyone's opinion was as far as peaceful, community fish that were good for beginners. I seem to have a distinct disdain for aggressive fish; as pretty as angel fish are I don't like bullies. I'm the same way with freshwater fish. If they are not community fish, I don't tend to keep them.
Although, every once in a great while, I keep a betta, but aside from ones who are more active than normal, there is not much in it for me no matter how pretty they are.

*ahem* Anyhow, I'd like to know what sort of fish would be good for me to keep. I don't mind if they are a little shy, but I don't want to always wonder where my fish is :P.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

as far as the tank goes the bigger the easier it is to take care of as far as water quality. small tank can change very fast and kill fish or corals etc.. a 30 would be a good starter tank. clowns are great fish to start with as are blennys or firefish those are some that i like.

Since you plan on moving in the near future,A 30 would be good.
Say a 30 long with a couple of firefish or even a couple of clowns.The biggest problem with a 30 is the limit on what you CAN put in it.
Another thing with saltwater fish.Even if they are supposed to be good community fish,its still a 50/50 chance that they will be good lil fishies.

Ok. I was thinking a 30 anyway, because I do tend to move a lot. even when I'm not supposed to have to. I have read good things about blennys and clowns. Do the clowns need the anemone?

Clowns. I suggest a black and white percula and a regular percula. In my opinion I like seeing the different colors rather than two fish that look almost the same.

firefish are good, clowns, royal gramma, cardinal fish, hawkfish, blennies, dottybacks, the list is almost endless if you are only going to keep one or two fish. complications arise when you seek to combine various fish personalities. Heck, if you want just two fish in a 30 gallon, I would put in a flame angel and a few yellow bellied blue damsels. they are really pretty together and will play nice together.

-Doc

A 30g. would be a good size to start a saltwater aquarium.I do have to disagree with rest on a few fish.Although great beginner fish,clowns are the bastard child of damsels.In other words mean as hell!Hawkfish and dottybacks can be aggressive as well.Firefish,cardinals,most blennies,gobies seem to be the most peaceful in a community tank.The again,a 30g. won't make much of a community.Unlike fresh where I seen people have 20 fish in a 30.You will never be able to do the same with salt.

I agree with Freak. You can have maybe 4 fish, max in a 30 gallon tank. Some clowns are more aggressive than others, though. If I were you, I'd pick one or two fish that you definitely want, and figure out the rest around them.

Back