Good Crab? Bad Crab?

Spaz059

Reefing newb
I think this is the culprit behind the death and destruction of my cleaner shrimp. What is it?

Attachments

• IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
Had one that looked exacly like that. I determined it had killed my lawnmower blenny. This little @#$$ met the business end of a bamboo skewer :mrgreen:

UGH...We knew we had some type of 'hitchhiker' crab in one of the newer rocks....but only caught a glimpse of it once or twice......
Then we had the "mysterious" missing fishies....then the whole tank disaster.....

Well, finally found the same litte booger last night.....twice as big as before and looking rather menacing.....Identical to the one in above photo...

He's gone--nuff said!

UGH...We knew we had some type of 'hitchhiker' crab in one of the newer rocks....but only caught a glimpse of it once or twice......
Then we had the "mysterious" missing fishies....then the whole tank disaster.....

Well, finally found the same litte booger last night.....twice as big as before and looking rather menacing.....Identical to the one in above photo...

He's gone--nuff said!

Well next time I see him we'll have a little talk. He has eaten a colony of polyps and 2 leathers since I first asked for help

Looks like the one we have. I think the store called him a black claw reef crab (I believe). Can eat some soft corals they said and possibly small fish and snails. He's still in the tank somewhere and so far all fish accounted for. But they said it's not likely he would be able to catch our damsels.

Looks like the one we have. I think the store called him a black claw reef crab (I believe). Can eat some soft corals they said and possibly small fish and snails. He's still in the tank somewhere and so far all fish accounted for. But they said it's not likely he would be able to catch our damsels.

We "lost" 2 damsels and one peppermint shrimp---oddly about the same time I bought the new rock and noticed him scampering around looking for a hiding place.
I would not think something that small could cause such havoc..:death:.....but, like I said, he was now twice the size he was 2 months ago......

I should say I think he's in the tank still. Haven't been able to see him for some time. But, I know he was in the tank about a month ago. Not a sign of him since.

I should say I think he's in the tank still. Haven't been able to see him for some time. But, I know he was in the tank about a month ago. Not a sign of him since.

Trust me--he's there.........Didn't see mine for over 2 months.......even thru the tank "disaster" he managed to survive and thrive...UGH!

Back