Good first fish AFTER cycle

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
I am looking for opinions on a good first fish that I you would actually want to keep for a 40 gallon breeder reef tank.

We are NOT going to add any fish until after the tank cycles.

We have a beginning CUC that we are moving over from th Biocube. It will then become the quarantine tank.

My son has decided the stocking list possibilities are as follows:
Not ALL of these:
Firefish
Pair of clowns
6 line Wrasse
Blenny: Tail spot; bi-color; or 2 spot
Maybe Watchman goby
He will not get all these for 2 reasons, my husband is funding it and he is reasonable and two that would be too many fish as well as some choices have to be made. My son wants to be a marine biologist thus why we got the tank to begin with. Also I homeschool and he is keeping logs, writing observations as an assignment for school.

We will also be adding a fish then waiting 3-4 weeks before adding anything else. All fish will go through the quarantine tank first.

Thanks,
Angie

Thanks,
Angie

+1 Firefish or goby. I'd add the blenny second just so that you have some algae growth on the rocks for it to pick at. Clown pair after you've got the firefish/goby/blenny (whichever ones you decide of those types), and then six-line last. All of those choices would be nice fish for a 40g. The only change up would be if you get maroons - they are so aggressive that they should be last!

Thanks for the order of adding. That is very helpful. No maroon clowns here just the perucula/ false percula Nemo type.
Thanks,
Angie

Back