Good or Bad Plant

GassyMon

Wazzuuup
I moved this rock from my old tank and in like 2 months the bare rock has sprouted this red stuff and its starting and spreading all over my tank. What is this plantand is it good or bad?

Attachments

• DSC01397.jpg
    DSC01397.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC01398.jpg
    DSC01398.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC01399.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC01400.jpg
    DSC01400.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 344
I would assume it's some sort of leafy red algae or kelp. Do you have any herbivore fish? If so, do you see them eating it?

It is some sort of macroalgae. If it's spreading all over the tank, then it's bad no matter what it is. :) I'd remove as much of it by hand as you can.

I did have herbavoric fish but I didn't move them into the new tank, So no new herbavoric fish. Something else about it is, it feels like lettuce.

You can keep it under control by just grabbing it and pull it out. Some of it will stay attached to the rock and grow back over time. It pulls up easy but can be kind of a pain to totally remove as it will grow back from the tiniest bit left but generally unless the nutrients in your tank are very high it is not an insanely fast growing macro. I think it is a species of Dictoya, I have had a brown version and that reddish version in my tank before.Reeffreak is right though, it is a good macro for nutrient export because it pulls up easy and will grow back for even a bit left attached to the rock.

Back