Good Power Heads?

Tunze if you don't want to spend a ton.
Vortechs are so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend them. ;)

These look pretty good and are pretty cheap. It sounds like they're weaker then you'd expect from such high gallons per hour. That's why I showed the 1600 gph one.

I'm using a pair of Tunze 6100's on a 7095 controller. They are adjustable up to 1800GPH. The Vortechs are nice, but pricey. I also hear they are not as quiet as most others. Koralia makes some great powerheads as well, and I had used them for years before I went with the Tunzes.

I have a Koralia 7 (2700 gph) and one of the new Koralia Evolution 1400's (1400 gph) in my 180.

The 2700 puts out a lot of flow, but no matter how I position it, it whips up the sand quite a bit and moves it around the tank

The 1400 has a pretty narrow flow, I'd be suprised if its acutally moving 1400 gph

I have a koralia mini 250 gph, and I've got to say, it sucks... You can hardly feel it if you put your hand right in front of it. I guess it is only 250 gph...

its the same for my 1400 gph ph Alex. No way is it moving 1400 gph. I've pulled it apart and cleaned it, and ran it in vinegar overnight- and it ddint make a difference.

As soon as I can afford it, I think I'm upgrading to dual Vortech MP40's - the youtube videos I've seen of the flow these things create are mind blowing

I also use the Koralias I have 2, 425's (I think) and I really like them but my tank is only 27g so it really works well.

You definately need to increase your gph for that size tank though that mini is probably for a pico tank

Dont those Maxi Jets have problems with leaking electricity into the water?

I don't know about the rest of you. But I will never use another maxi jet in my tank again. Less then 3 months old.... to run for my TLF reactor and I had that issue. Plus I find them cheaply made too.

I don't know about the rest of you. But I will never use another maxi jet in my tank again. Less then 3 months old.... to run for my TLF reactor and I had that issue. Plus I find them cheaply made too.

I didnt want to hurt any feelings either, but they look and are made like crap.

I've had a few MaxiJets powering some of my equipment for 5+ years. Maybe I have just had good luck with them. I've never had them break down.

I got one for my skimmer, it was recommended, and it burned out....plus, they look like God knows what hanging in the tank. I suppose in a sump they might be ok, but I dont like how they look in the DT.

Back