good youtube videos for setting up a sump

jewels03

Reefing newb
So when we bought our tank it had a sump, a HOB filter, and a canister filter. After talking to a man at a fish store, not an employee just a customer, I just ran the canister filter and ordered new filters and carbon. I pulled the sump off and just ran the canister filter and ordered a good protein skimmer.

Now I'm reading and canister filters are bad and sumps are good. I have no idea how to set up this sump though. And it's a homemade sump with no overflow so they said if the power goes out it'll overflow so is there a way we can fix that? The nitrates are high in my tank so I'm thinking that's because of the filter I'm running since I haven't changed my media yet. I tested my nitrites and they tested at >.03 but ran out of ammonia tester.

Is there any good sites or YouTube videos to help?

Very simple to have a sump, youre just looking at the whole picture and not at the sump. When you start up a sump, you check how much water needs to be in the system. Ie what is in the pipe, how much water it takes to overflow the dt. You take a marker to your sump to make a "max fill line" while in operation to not exceed when topping off your tank. This way if you dont overflow. The canister is giving you higher nitrates, but make sure you stay on top of your husbandtry. Good luck, its very simple once you see it in action.

Back