Got some new toys!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I really want to purchase a Digital Aquatics Reef Keep L3 but since they are $270 and I would rather buy some corals I decided to get a few other items. I will explain why I bought them as well.

1) Hanna Checker Alkalinity Colorimeter - I bought this mostly because I am fed up with using my Salifert Test Kit. Yes I am being Lazy but I will still use the Salifert to double check the readings until I get in the swing of using it.

Then I will use the Salifert 1 time a month to double check the readings. My tank tends to stay low especially if I do not dose while the Calcium stays at 430 for 2 weeks until I change the water. I added a few Acros so maybe it will start using more.

2) Milwaukee pH600 pH Meter Pen - I am more fed up with both my Salifert and API Tests not being easy to read. The color looks one way in one room and another in the dispersed daylight that you are supposed to use.

While they both seem to be about the same, the API is easier to match and then I can sort of see how the Salifert could be close to the API by just saying this color fall between this and that color.

The Milwaukee ph600 has has pretty good reviews as far as I can see and for $20, it is less than a PH Monitor. I want to wait to get that with the Reef Keeper so why get a Pinpoint now.

Now while I cannot for the life of me get a PH reading at 8 or higher I would feel better knowing just what it really is. I raise the Alk about .4 a day on average but I waited 2 days because I put just a hair more than 2 Little Fishes has for maximum dose without splitting it into 2 doses and it seems to not moved up very much which tells me it probably is already on its way back down.

Maybe one day in the far future as I add cool stuff I will have a Calcium Reactor. Man I already have a ton of plugs that should be fun.

I just want to take it slow. My tank is still easily managed as is with no reactor but I am tired of dosing everyday for Alk and that is a good reason to use the Calcium Reactor.

I will make sure I get one with the PH probe that fits inside. I need to save up like $500. That Reef Keeper does a TON of stuff and mostly it can shut the outlet if the heater goes bad.

Oh yeah I got a bunch of calibration fluid and also 25 extra ALK tests.

Last edited:
Back