Grape looking things in my rock what are they???

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
i have a newly put together tank and notice the rock i put in on a few have these little grape looking bubbles what is it and is it good or bad????

Attachments

• P5171640.jpg
    P5171640.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 467
That my friend is green bubble algae. Don't pop it or it will release spores into your tank and cause much more of it to grow. Can you remove that rock from the tank? If so, then take it out and remove them and rinse off the rock in the bucket of ro water.

I believe that is called bubble algae and it is bad.be careful getting rid of it as it can burst and spread even more.I am sure somebody more knowledgeable than myself will be on shortly with a helpful remedy

+1 hiker & mj -- hopefully none have burst yet. Your tank will be covered in them if any did. I'd do what hiker suggested and take out the rock carefully, and try to pry them off w/o popping, then rinse the rock. You can probably rinse it in old tank water too if the lock is already live so you dont' kill your bacteria. Otherwise, RO water is fine.

so nothing eats this??? i know its on 2 of my rocks not sure about the rest, crap thats my luck, so just take it out and pick it off rinse the rock and put it back in??? i guess thats what i get from buying cured rock from someones tank cheap, but i guess that can happen from the LFS also ??

Last edited:
I've had this stuff in my tank. Never removed it manually. It goes away once you get ahold of your nitrates and phosphate issues. New tanks Usually have nitrates which this stuff eats. If you have some cheato or something in your sump and keep a light on it 24/7 it will compete with this stuff for food letting it die off or at the very least preventing it from spreading. It takes months after your cycle for your tank to completely mature. Regular weekly water changes also help keep the food for this stuff to a minimum.

Their membrane is thicker than it looks. With a little practice you can grab the tendril (what they attach to the rock with) with a tweezer.

I've had this stuff in my tank. Never removed it manually. It goes away once you get ahold of your nitrates and phosphate issues. New tanks Usually have nitrates which this stuff eats. If you have some cheato or something in your sump and keep a light on it 24/7 it will compete with this stuff for food letting it die off or at the very least preventing it from spreading. It takes months after your cycle for your tank to completely mature. Regular weekly water changes also help keep the food for this stuff to a minimum.

+1 VA. It can eventually die off on its own once you have the water params just right. If it's easy to remove the rock then that's the best course of action. Get rid of it all together and you wont have to worry about it spreading.

Their membrane is thicker than it looks. With a little practice you can grab the tendril (what they attach to the rock with) with a tweezer.

+2 Chris. Be careful if you do this as they do pop quite easy. They are tough skinned, but not that tough. If you do this take the rock out the tank to do it the first time until you see how it goes. You don't want them exploding in the DT.

+3 Wonton Sometimes emerald crabs will eat it, but that's hit or miss and I'd lean more towards miss.

i removed the 3 rocks that had the bubble algae on it removed the algea and rinsed them with some tank water then put them back, most of them came off with no problem but i did have a few that burst so good thing i took the rock out. thanks everyone

1+ Get your 'trates down with a cheato filled fuge!

Back