gravel cleaning

Paste

I'm on a boat!
is there a good how to on cleaning gravel?
I am gonna get a siphon canister looking test tube thinggie.. is there danger of stiring stuff up and causing a bigger problem?

tank has been setup for 3-4 months now and I figured I was spring cleaning the house.. why not the tank?

opinions, suggestions, words of caution?

You are better off having a good cuc to care for the sand bed rather than vaccuming it. Doing so can cause many a problem, especially if the tank has been set up for a while

What type of cleaners do you recommend for the sand bed?
I got a handful of snails, hermits and a cucumber (not sure he counts but he's cool) and 2 skunk shrimp.. but none of them seem to ever be on the sand bed.

Here's my :twocents: when you do your next water change take a turkey baster and blast your rocks my feeling is that at this time its ok to stir things up slightly then do a adequate water change. This will remove a lot of gunk that builds up on your rocks. But also Like Hannah has said a good CUC will go a vary long way on helping keep your reef clean.:Cheers:

What type of cleaners do you recommend for the sand bed?
I got a handful of snails, hermits and a cucumber (not sure he counts but he's cool) and 2 skunk shrimp.. but none of them seem to ever be on the sand bed.

cucumbers are great pending type tiger tails and donkey dung are awesome then snail wise nassarius snails do great

I got Aragonite about 2 inches deep (waves moved it is probably 3 inches in some spots, 1 in others) or actually I got 45lbs... in a 65 gallon tank (same measurements as a 40b I think other than height)

Back