Greeeeen!

J_hack35

Reefing newb
i just recently started using a little seaweed as a supplement for my fish. i don't know if this is a result from that but my tank has turned GREEN. i have done a water change and that helped for a day or two but now it is completely covered again. any suggestions?

Use the seaweed select dryed form from your lfs or mail order, there is also a julian sprung seaweed. I have used the marine brown, green, red, alterantely every third day or do put a quarter piece folded up on a lettice clip and hand it into the water collum, take out at night. I have not had any problems with water claity, only fat tangs and a heath bio load form good feeds. do not use food for humans, or lettice. Some healthfood store nori may be ok but i prefer the marine industry fare. if your green water continues you will need to increase your filtration, or possibly add a uv sterilizer if it is algae spores. if it is coloration on the other hand run some good reef grade carbon for a week to 10 days only and then do a 20% water change for the next two weeks to replenish the good stuff the carbon removes. toss the carbon when done, do not reuse. hope this helps. not much information given so good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out. WELCOME TO THE SITE. WE HOPE YOUR VISITS HERE ARE FUN, INFORMATIVE AND EDUCATIONAL. AGAIN WELCOME.

i am using green marine.
i am not using any corbon. i am not fully educated in aquariums, so any info is helpful. my aquarium sits in our foyer and it gets a more sunlight than our old house, could this also be a problem.?

YEP, SUNLIGHT WILL DO IT. A PROPERLY SIZED UV STERILIZER WOULD BE OF SOME HELP WITH YOUR PROBLEM, CIRCULATION, FILTRATION, PROTIEN SKIMMING ALL NEED TO BE EVALUATED. UV STERILIZER WILL KILL THE ALGAE SPORES BUT THE FILTRATION/SKIMMER WILL NEED TO FILTER OUT THE GREEN. ADD CARBON FOR ONE WEEK TO 10 DAYS EACH MONTH ALSO. Phosphates, nitrates, silica all need to read 0 if possible, or, the lower the better. GOOD LUCK KEEP US POSTED.

i used 5 percent limo tint for cars on the back of my tanks. it works great and is easy to install and to clean.if you don't like black you can get many colors right at an auto parts store.

Back