Green Algae starting to grow

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
My tank is in week 2 of its cycle and i just noticed a little green hair like growing on 1 rock what is it and what to do about it???? anything will eat it later or ???

Attachments

• P5211659.jpg
    P5211659.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 685
Are you doing regular water changes? Also, cut back on your lighting. As far as animals, get some turbo snails and/or small hermit crabs. They should take care of it for you.

i have not done a water change yet i am in week 2 of a new tank cycle, i have live sand and mature cured live rock, im not supposed to water change yet correct??

Have you checked the ammonia and nitrites yet?
By using cured rock,you MIGHT skip the cycle and already be able to add some snails.

+1 yote

you need to check your params so you can know whether or not you can get some snails in there before the hair algae gets too large, cuz the snails will ignore it when it's too large.

Algae 101: Check your water source with a TDS meter. Check your water source for nitrates. Test your tank water for both phosphates and nitrates.

CUC good?
Flow good?
Skimming?
Macro-algae to out-compete other algae?

Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, ill check ammonia tonight, great flow 780gph return and 2 coralife 1300gph circulation pumps and i have a 90 gal DT with 30 gal sump refugium with a Octopus ext 160 skimmer and Biff is sending me some Cheato today i should have the Cheato in a few days. i guess throw the cheato in their and get some CUC to put in their ? Turbo snails and hermits??? i assume these are reef safe since i will have a reef set up soon

It really doesn't look like that much algae. I do not think you have a big algae problem. You will always get a little green on you rocks.

Yote, my amonia is also 0 i stopped at the LFS last night and got 2 emerald crabs,2 scarlet hermits, 2 blue leg hermits, 4 elephant Nassarius snails and 1 coral banded shrimp for now i did not want to get too many yet. so im in week 3 my cycle is already complete when do i do my first water change ???

Last edited:
after my first water change how often should i do a water change?? i read some people every week up to once a month ?? how to determine?

In a new system,I'd shoot for 20% every week.Then as your tank matures,you'll get a feel for knowing when you need to do one and can cut back on em.

Back