Green balloon thing on live rock?

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Hi all,

Below I have attached a picture of what I can only describe as a green balloon thing which has been growing on my live rock for the past couple of months and recently got a lot bigger. I've checked a few books but cannot seem to work out what it is ... could any ID this for me and let me know if its some killer nasty balloon thing?

WeirdGreenBalloonThing.jpg

just a guess but it looks like bubble algae to me. Mithrax crabs are know to eat them. i think they also contain spores so i wouldnt pop them if your planning on doing so, that will probably start making them spred like crazy. someone chime in if im going in the wrong direction
:^:

Last edited:
It is the dredded exploding bubles that will release toxins and death in a reef tank.O.k. hold just joking haha.I believe sabotaged is correct

Bubble Algae(Chlorophyta phylum )-These algae are single-celled plants that reproduce sexually and asexually, growing as bubbles in various shapes and sizes. Valonia macrophysa has large bubbles, Valonia aegagropila forms bubbles about three times as long as they are wide, and Valonia utricularis grows sausage-shaped bubbles. Ventricaria ventricosa is the most common type found in aquariums and grows as individual rounded green bubbles of up to an inch or more in diameter. There is also a bubble stage of Derbesia (hair algae) that resembles Ventricaria ventricosa, but differs because it drifts when unattached, whereas Valonia sinks. Bubble algae are usually brought into an aquarium when introducing live rock. Living on very small amounts of nutrients and low lighting (even in dark areas of an aquarium), if they become a nuisance they usually require removal or thinning by hand. Reducing tank nutrients will not do the job with the Dictyospheria sp. Great care should be taken not to break open the bubbles. As the bubbles mature they contain spores, and if broken this can cause them to spread more rapidly.Emerald Green Crab (Mithrax sculptus) as a good natural herbivore choice to help keep bubble algae cropped in an aquarium.

I'll have a go at removing them then ... however does look pretty tricky ... if any more show up I'll check the compatibility of an emerald green and get a couple. Thanks peeps :)

I believe what you just might have is the algae Boergesenia a member of the bubble algae. Forms light green club shaped bubbles or clusters of bubbles thar are occasionally forked. It is common on indo pacific live rock and seldom blooms. Controls - low nitrate levels, removal by hand or siphoning, herbivores, some authors warn that popping the bubbles should be avoided because it risks releasing thousands of new bubble algae. While this is techically true, controlling a bloom by manual removal and the use of herbivores (that pop the bubbles as they eat them) can nevertheless be very effective. Herbivores: surgeonfish, diadema, mithraculus and pitho spp. crabs, ercolania and possibly other seaslugs. good luck. hope something here helps.

Thanks for the reply - I'll have a go at removing them by hand as my Regal Tang doesn't appear to take any interest in them. I was reading up on the Green Emerald crab and some places warned that it sometimes eats fish, has anyone ever experienced this?

My Emerald crabs are the size of my thumbnail, so I don't think they could eat anything but fish babies. I take the rocks that have the bubble algae on them out of the water and scrape with a single edge razor blade to keep the spores from spreading.

Good luck!

Angela

Managed to remove the majority of them by hand and it was pretty hard as my Regal Tang was constantly biting my hand lol.

I have noticed a couple more but they are too small to remove by hand without risk of bursting them.

bubble algae & Mithrax Crab

I have a few bubble algae, but they are a deep shade of green. I have a Mithrax crab on the way hopefully tomorrow. I hear they may graze on inverts. Will they bother snails or Sand sifting stars? I have not found much info on them, but I know they are a great for algae control.

Back