Grounding Probe & GFI (...I'm no electrician)

Kizmar

#derpface
I've been noticing an increase in fish jumping and ending up in the overflows. My Jawfish was acting really odd; changing it's home every few days, swimming along the top of the water at times. A week ago the Jawfish disappeared, and today I found two of my wrasse in an overflow. One of them was the Leopard Wrasse, and she was dead.

Today I finally got GFI outlets put in by the tank, and a grounding probe installed in the sump. I don't know if there is a stray voltage problem or not... but I did notice something odd just a few minutes ago and I'm not sure what caused it.

Before I can ask the question, here's what I'm dealing with:

I have 3 GFI outlets on the wall that all my tank stuff is plugged in to. Outlet 1 is on a circuit that's tied in with some other stuff, outlets 2 & 3 are on their own breaker/circuit (specifically for the tank).

30 minutes ago...
- Outlet 1 had nothing plugged in to it.
- Outlet 2 had the grounding probe and a power strip with the two EcoTech MP40's and two Radions plugged into it.
- Outlet 3 has pretty much everything else on it running on the ReefKeeper Elite's power strips.

So... as I was sitting here watching TV, the GFI popped on outlet 2. I reset it and it popped again, and again. I pulled the power strip (with lights and powerheads in it) and plugged it in to outlet 1. I then reset the GFI and it stayed on. I tested the current running through the grounding probe and it was like one volt, maybe two.

Currently... I left the lights and powerheads plugged in to outlet 1, and the grounding probe plugged in to outlet 2 and they've been fine for 30 minutes or so.

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but it seems like the GFI in outlet 2 popped when the lights started to spin down to night mode. That doesn't make sense to me. To those that know more than I about electricity: is there some sort of explanation behind any of this that I'm missing?

The thing that I find ironic, is the plug that seems to have caused outlet 2 to pop is the one that has nothing IN the water. I'm at a loss here.

GFCI does not necessarily need a water-caused short circuit to trip.
Their breakers are designed to trip based on a sudden imbalance of the load - which just happens to be water-caused shorts in most home applications.

It could be a faulty GFCI outlet and the tapering amperage as the lights ramp down could be interpreted as a short and thus tripping the GFCI breaker.

Back