H. Magnifica

angelrobison

Reefing newb
Ok so my H. magnifica came in yesterday and i did the drip acclimation for it. Some said to just do a temp acclimation others said to do a drip acclimation. I just love it when you don't get a straight answer. LOL..My water levels are all good. My salinity in the tank is 1.022. He was a bit stressed and understandable after the trip from being shipped from Florida. Last night while under moonlight light he finally came around and was in full bloom. The lights came on this morning and he was in full bloom for about an hour then went flat as a pancake and his mouth looks like it is inside out. If that makes any sense. Looks like he has a white tumor sticking out of his mouth. It looks like it is going back in but very slowly. What could be causing this? How far from the top of the water should he be? I did my research on him before i got him and read that he likes moderate water flow and then other sites say he likes strong water flow. Could someone please tell me what type of water flow he desires. Right now i have about a moderate water on him. Its not a direct flow to him. I have had this tank set up for over a year. Should i try feeding him? Any suggestions would be helpful. I love this anemone and i know they are difficult to keep but I want to try and get this guy to thrive. Thank you.

Well, for starters your salinity is too low! The fact that he has deflated and turned his mouth inside out, may just be him pooping. Don't try and feed him, he wont eat with his mouth like that anyway. Let him recover, and maybe think about offering him something tomorrow. As for placement, put him where you think he will be comfortable. If for whatever reason he does not like that particular spot, he'll move to one that suits him better.

This was from Larry on an Ident. thread, but I figured I would quote him here.

"So, do you have an established system of a few to several hundred plus gallons (three feet across in all dimensions minimum), with plenty, and I mean PLENTY of lighting and water movement? The patience, nerve to risk this Anemone coming loose, moving about, stinging your other "Corals" (and other cnidarian life), as well as possibly your fishes? Maybe another Actinarian species is a better match... My best advice, request is that you leave the Magnificent Anemones in the tropical seas where they belong."

Apparently these nems are some of the most difficult, ornery, PITA nems to keep. Beautiful, but a PITA. I wish you the best of luck with your new nem, and hope everything turns out ok!

I want to thank some of you who answered my question. I understand where larry is coming from but really don't appreciate him telling me to leave the anemone in the ocean. If that is his opinion great keep it to yourself. I came on here asking a question and don't need someone telling me what i can and can't have in my tank. I thought i could come on here and ask a question without PETA jumping my case.

Your are absolutely right about the salinity...i knew it was low...this is the second saltwater forum i have tried to ask questions in and there is always someone like "Larry". If that was the case why does anyone have salt tanks. I try to buy my inhabitants not captured in the sea. BTW my anemone is doing great now...it was just the salinity...he is flourishing....I think probably from now on i will just have an expert saltwater person come help me with my tank instead of trying to ask questions in forums...this is ridiculous...makes you not want to ask questions for fear of someone jumping your case....

PETA hahaha you crack me up,were not attacking you just trying to help,you anemone is doing great now but for how ling its most likly going to be the only yhing in the 55 after awhile those get huge,dont take it as some one jumping your case...constructive critisism...btw PETA is not this place trust me ive worked with exotics my entire life and am a private owner and have to deal with PETA too often

I want to thank some of you who answered my question. I understand where larry is coming from but really don't appreciate him telling me to leave the anemone in the ocean. If that is his opinion great keep it to yourself. I came on here asking a question and don't need someone telling me what i can and can't have in my tank. I thought i could come on here and ask a question without PETA jumping my case.

I really wasn't trying to be mean either. I was just trying to warn you that these nems can be tricksy creatures, especially in smaller tanks, it seems. Completely constructive, not meant as nasty. I would hate for your tank to get nuked, and would feel bad if it did get nuked and I hadn't said anything. Just a warning. I DO hope everything goes well.

And trust me, I'm not a PETA agent. I frickin' hate their stinking guts.....bunch of hypocritical fornicaters.

Your are absolutely right about the salinity...i knew it was low...this is the second saltwater forum i have tried to ask questions in and there is always someone like "Larry". If that was the case why does anyone have salt tanks. I try to buy my inhabitants not captured in the sea. BTW my anemone is doing great now...it was just the salinity...he is flourishing....I think probably from now on i will just have an expert saltwater person come help me with my tank instead of trying to ask questions in forums...this is ridiculous...makes you not want to ask questions for fear of someone jumping your case....
Obviously you didn't read the article in the link I posted or you would have known I didn't say what was quoted. Regardless, it again shows your lack of research.
HetMagnifica
Heteractis magnifica; Magnificent Anemones. A Poor Choice for Captive Systems

And if you mean every forum has a member with over 20 yrs experience in keeping a reef tank and does research before making any purchases, maybe you should take their advise.

Just for your info Larry posted a quote from an article written by someone who has written more books and articles on reef keeping then time you've actually spent keeping one HetMagnifica
And for the future, Larry happens to be a respected member and moderator here and his knowledge/experience in this hobby is among the most extensive you'll find on this site.

You can come on here and ask for advice, but dont get all pissed off when you hear something that you werent expecting to hear. If the folks over at WetWebMedia and the mods here tell you that something should be left in the ocean - they have a good reason for saying so. Go ahead and ignore the advice - just don't come back here posting for additonal help when things dont go right after not heeding the adivce of people that know better

Listen all i did was ask a question. I did my research on him and right now he is the only thing in my tank besides my clowns...i have a couple of tanks one of which is a 220 gal custom tank which he is in...i also have a 55 gal tank which is a reef only tank...no fish...it seems that some of you are the ones that are getting upset way more than i did...but seriously, you should be able to come on this site and ask a question and hopefully get it answered...this site seems to be really clicky....and i guess if you are not in that circle than poo on you..lol

Back