Hair Algae the Battle, & The WIN..

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
i posted a pic a while back i dont know if its up still but it was about 3 months ago i had a serious case of hair algae it started destroying my zoas and so on, i went to the lfs and i got a seahare. it took him 6weeks to get rid of the hairalgae . i no longer have the pic i took right before i put in the seahare.. the 2 pics here are 2 months before it became a problem. i was getting ready to give up on the tank but then realized this is the only hobby that i love!. the 2 pics here show nothing it was 20xs worse. bw
DSC00208-1.jpg

DSC00255-1.jpg

so a few weeks after i got the seahare, id say 6 weeks i noticed a huge difference in the tank he pretty much mowed it all down. i didnt believe the stories or anything but i had to do it myself to see if there was hope.. there was these r todays snaps with new coral. pic #1 whats the name??? lol.
tell me what you guys think.
DSC00359.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

give me the TRUTH!!!

excellent post it's neat to see natural algae control as effective as it looks for you! wow, he got every little nook and cranny, well done. what changes are you going to make to maintenances/feeding or stocking to prevent that algae from coming back, or are you just keeping the hare inside for his natural duties>?
B

brandon*

well from now on im going to use r/o water for my top offs, i went wrong by using home filtered water which wasnt very pure and it ruined my tank. i returned the seahare and now have been using r/o water for a few weeks and all hairalgae has stopped growing nomore growth.

those stripped mushrooms are so bright. What are those polyps in the 4th pic next to the sun coral? I like those guys alot. Great looking tank. Everything looks so bright.

they are duncanopsammia. members of the tubastrea (sun polyp) family and related to dendrophyllia, yet photosynthetic. they eat mysis as well!

steel those r bright bright orange zoanthids i never seen some so bright, i had to get them. the duncans i have r on the last pic where u see my whole tank they r in the middle next to my dendro let me see if i can photoshop it for u. the red circled one is duncans, the blue circled one is bright orange zoanthids

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I thought so. Thanks. I'm just a new guy but I didn't think those zoos were duncans.

I need to get a bigger tank so I can put all this cool $h!t in there.

yea the duncans r really easy to keep nothing special to maintain some. and zoanthids ofcourse really need no special attention.

absolutely beautiful pics! i dont know what else to add! i cant wait till my tank matures! and mad props on using mother natures way!

Back