hair algae

valasaraptor

Proud ocelot owner!
does anything eat hair algae? i have a very bad out break,i was considering a lettuce nudi but read up on them and i gess they dont do well in smaller aquariums,possible a sea hair? but are there any smaller species that are for smaller tanks

Pull it out manually, and start doing several water changes to start. Then you can get yourself a few turbo snails.

If all else fails then you can try a sea hare which will definitely eat the HA. But you definitely have to find out what causing the outburst and stop fueling it.

Most critters won't eat the HA because it is too long in your tank. You'll have to pull as much by hand, suck out with a siphon, brush off with a toothbrush, THEN you may have a chance that a critter can help keep it under control, but critters won't "get rid" of the algae all together, You have to find the cause and treat it directly. Otherwise, you're only treating the symptoms.

Start using a DIY algae scrubber....I think I post this once a week and nobody uses them (if you have a sump, it costs less than $20 to make including the lights). It will get rid of your algae once and for all.

I picked up a Mexican turbo snail to solve my problem. He is a lawnmower. I highly recommend these guys. My other black turbo's don't touch the long stuff, but the Mexican does.

I learned the hardway how quickly this stuff spreads. I places a small piece of LR with some Xenia on it and some hair algae. The hair algae took over the LR killing all but two small stocks of Xenia, and now it's popping up everywhere! But the Mexican turbo has it under control.

I know this is an old thread but a foxface will destroy hair algae. I had hair algae and introduced a foxface and in 1 day every bit of hair algae from the DT was completely gone. I actually started pulling some out of the sump and adding it to the DT to feed him. Sadly I killed him by not having a fish guard in my overflow. Hair algae still hasn't come back in the DT though.

The scrubber is a good thing yeah. It doesn't solve the problem though. The scrubber just moves the algae to the scrubber moving the symptom. The problem is excessive nitrates, phosphates, or light. A scrubber or sump with cheato both allow you to grow algae in one place vice another.

Back