Halide Lighting

It's better not to use the glass lid. Using it can lead to poor oxygenation, salt sreep on the glass, and poor lighting performance.

You generally shouldn't be using a glass top on your aquarium. It can heat the tank up, cuts down on gas exchange and collects salt creep.

If you are using a MH light, it should come with a glass shield built in.

if you did use it with a top just give it a foot-foot n a half between glass n mh or else it will crack the glass lid, also you will need a air pump to help for oxygrnation.

If they are double ended (DE) metal halides, the reflectors MUST have a glass shield. If they are single ended no glass is needed. Either way you don't need a seperate glass top over the tank itself.

also you will need a air pump to help for oxygrnation
Not really. An air pump does very little in a SW system.

I am more worried about stuff getting into the tank without the glass top. I would like to get some metal halide lights but am afraid of things falling into the tank. I have looked for canopied but noone makes one for a 72 gal bow.

I am more worried about stuff getting into the tank without the glass top. I would like to get some metal halide lights but am afraid of things falling into the tank. I have looked for canopied but noone makes one for a 72 gal bow.

Do you have little kids?

Yes I have little kids. I have been looking at making a canopy, just did not want to if I could get away with upgrading the lights and keeping the glass top. I guess I will do it the hard way and build one, the canopies look better anyways.

Back