Hammer coral

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
Hello, i bought a large hammer coral about a week ago hoping that my Tank bred Ocellaris clownfish pair would host in it but they haven't even gone near that part of the tank. should i move the coral or just wait for them to find it. is there any way that i can speed up the process.
thank you

Clownfish are famously known to host anemones not typically anything else. There have been a few rare cases on these forums where clowns host hammers and other euphyllias but it almost never happens. I have had a nice size hammer coral in my tank for over a year and my clown fish haven't even considered hosting it.

I would just put it wherever you like it best in the tank without really expecting them to host it. If anything it's not a good thing for clown's to host that type of coral because it would more than likely continually stress it out over time.

One of my clowns has started hosting a large hairy mushroom. I'm so happy he finally gave up the power head after a year in the tank. :bounce:

There's no guarantee that clowns will host anything, not even an anemone. There's a small chance they will host the hammer, but it could take a while for them to take to it. And as Dturner mentioned, hammers don't make good hosts for clowns because they are rather delicate, and the clowns tend to beat them to death.

+1 Dturner
I have a torch that my clowns host now, at first it was a pain. The torch closed right up and looked very irritated. Now it is doing great luckily. Its not always a good thing to have them host euphyllias. They have very soft tissue and can be irritated easily. I had my torch in my tank for at least 2 months id guess before they even noticed it. If they want to, they will eventually.

Back