Hang on Back Skimmer or sump?

tubz

Reefing newb
I am setting up a 30 gallon tank and only have room for about a 10 gallon sump underneath. Would it be better to use the sump and a skimmer in there or would a hang on back skimmer and no sump at all be fine? Also for noise which would be the quieter route to go? Thanks for any advice and opinions.

I would go with the 10 gallon sump it give you a place to put all your other equipment
And as noise go it all depend on the model and how it is build

I would go with a sump.

Everyone will say that the biggest benefit of the sump is a place to put all your equipment.

I say the biggest benefit of a sump is never seeing the evaporation line in your display tank. Since your DT is always under pressure, it always looks full, and the only place you have to watch for evaporation is the return chamber in your sump. No more surprise guests telling you 'hey man, you need to fill your tank back up, why is the water line so low...' :D

And skimmers are fickle creatures. If you have one in your sump and the skimmer overflows, it'll just boil over into your sump. It's not good for the inhabitants, but it's not good for it to dump out all over your carpet and electrics like a hang off would, either.

After running a HOB skimmer and no sump in a 50 gallon, I can tell you that I would absolutely prefer a sump. And I'm working on the logistics of turning said 50 gallon into a sump for my 90 gallon upgrade. If you do go with a HOB skimmer, I can tell you that the Aqua-C Remora is a great model, but not very quiet. It skims all sorts of junk and works like a champ, but you have an ambient buzz in the room 24/7. I've gotten used to it and barely notice it, but it drives the hubby crazy when he's trying to watch TV.

Another alternative is an in-tank skimmer, such as the Hydor Slim Skim. That's actually a really good option now that I think about it.

Back