Hang-on refugiums

Treezer8

Reefing newb
Ok, so I'm at the point where I want to make my water quality just that much better.
So what I'm thinking of getting is a hang-on refugium. I can't do a regular sump/refugium under the tank because its just a standard 70gal tank. No drill holes or filters on the side.

My questions are:

Does anyone have experience with these?
How do they work?
How big of a refugium need to be for a 70gal? And it's going to be a hang-on..So is it even possible?
What else can you tell me about these?

This is probably going to be a Christmas present, so I have plenty of time to do more research and look around for the right one. I would rather buy than try to make my own.

Well, I am very new at this, but I would think that if you could hang a refugium then you could hang on an overflow box and pipe the water to a sump. There is no need to have holes drilled and it allows you to run a sump under your tank. (If there is room in the stand for one...)

Tim

Well, I am very new at this, but I would think that if you could hang a refugium then you could hang on an overflow box and pipe the water to a sump. There is no need to have holes drilled and it allows you to run a sump under your tank. (If there is room in the stand for one...)

Tim

Yes!
I also read about about the overflow boxes, but forgot about them.
So you have to buy an overflow bow(god knows how much that will cost)
Hangs on the back of the tank, a pipe goes from that into a refugium tank under the main tank, then a line goes back into the tank?

You can either use an overflow box to bring water down to a sump or refugium below, or you can use an HOB refugium. A few people on here have HOB refugiums and they are definitely better than having no refugium, although you can be limited in space. Usually there is a just a powerhead that brings water to the fuge, and water flows back to the tank via gravity.

u can make a diy pvc overflow for like 10 bucks. the bigger ur fuge the more of an impact it will have on your display tank.

search diy pvc overflow on youtube. theres a bunch of videos thatll show u how. its really easy. ive always used them.

The biggest u tank u could fit under ur stand. I would say at least a 20 gallon but I'm sure u can fit a 30 under there.

I had a HOB refugium on my corner pentagram tank. Ran it for 3 years and worked ok. I now have a true sump/refugium underneath on my 45. Works so much better...Look at my thread it all came from aquatraders and has been working very well for me. Was a lot cheaper then going name brand. :twocents:

I had a HOB refugium on my corner pentagram tank. Ran it for 3 years and worked ok. I now have a true sump/refugium underneath on my 45. Works so much better...Look at my thread it all came from aquatraders and has been working very well for me. Was a lot cheaper then going name brand. :twocents:

Thanks! I'll check it out

Sorry, i bought my hob from them and the overflow, return pump, skimmer, lights. The under sump on got on ebay. here is a link 15 Gal Refugium Sump Wet Dry Aquarium Filter 24x9x15 | eBay
$%28KGrHqN,%21pUFBQWUHwrEBQj+WbgWkw%7E%7E60_3.JPG

Back