Hardy Fish

That isnt a new technique, that is how people used to cycle a tank before they understood the microbes behind the nitrogen cycle. People who do that today have no idea what they are doing, or they are just cruel idiots who i will never respect.

Just toss in a piece of table shrimp

Thank you, this why I love this group. Honestly I was just really asking. I just myself a new 29 gallon tank, I went out and bought a new live aragonite sand, that comes with a bio load to start. I have no problem being patient while it cycles, it the balancing act after that is my freaking issue.

Thanks again all.

I agree the shrimp might be the way to go.

Please don't take this the wrong way. However, I don't think the shrimp would agree that it's less cruel. The shrimp was killed with the purpose of eating or cycling the tank. My fish survived the cycle and is still living.

That being said, the next time I'd probably go the shrimp route though...maybe I'm learning something.

Fish that are used to cycle tanks generally suffer ammonia poisoning. Just because your fish is alive now doesn't mean it will live it's life to the full potential now.

As far as the shrimp not agreeing... It's already dead. Which means it's not getting tortured.

I just ordered live rock online when I was setting up. That in and of itself will give you a huge cycle, no shrimp, fish, or feeding necessary! The bacterial die-off from shipping cycles your tank quite nicely, no need to cause undue stress and hardship on any multi-celled critter that didn't ride in on your rock. If you aren't interested in that, I would say shrimp your tank, or toss in some fish food and let it rot.

Of course, you wouldn't want to put shipped LR directly into your tank after you have life in it. Unless you're trying to kill your critters!

Thank you all. I will not be adding fish, I`ve added my live rock from the old tank, have a new sand and will soon get a shrimp.

thnks all

If that live rock is from an established tank,then just watch it for a few days.You may get a small,short lived cycle from moving the rock.If you don't,then I think you'll be alright to start slowly adding fish.

Damsels are pretty hardy, at least that's what my LFS says.

They're one of, if not the hardiest fish you can buy in this hobby. However, they are also most of the time one of the most aggressive fish you can have in your tank.

Back