HAWKS 75 gallon

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
Heres some pics of the new AGA 75 gallon reef and a list of whats been done since I bought the tank and stand.
*20 gallon long sump/fuge
*Coralife mightymite 2x 9W compacts (for fuge)
*Rio+ 2500 pump for sump/fuge return
*Filtersock, carbon, LR and macro algae in fuge/sump
*Drilled tank w/ 1 3/4 inch bulk heads
*Painted back of tank blue then put a coat of black over the blue (looks sweet the black coat made the blue look very deep and inpenetrable).
*Plentium..... I decided to give it a try.
Some problems I bumped into while setting up tank.
I bought a 20 gallon long off of craigs list for $15. I made sure to leak test it before I bought it. I just set it up and had it running as a sump/fuge when I noticed a small crack started to form. I imediatly pumped all the water out of the sump/fuge. Just as I finished getting the water out, the entire tank cracked everywhere. Long story short the 20L has to be put in the stand before you put the 75 on top of the stand. I had to remove the support beam in the front of the stand to get the old tank out and to put the new 20L in (Ya I decided to buy a brand new 20L after this incedent to use as a sump). It was pretty scarry pulling out that support beam when theres a full 75 sitting on it. My Prizm skimmer also didnt work well in the sump. The water level when its running just wasnt high enough after a day of evap. So im running it as a HOB again.
My next investment is a new skimmer I can run in the sump and My daughters granfather and I are going to build a hood and do some serious light upgrades.
The pros and cons of a plentium that I have noticed.
* I didnt like aquascaping with the plentium. You cant bury your rocks or corals deep in the sandbed for support. Also any sand sifting fish seem like they would expose the mesh.
* I was expecting my tank to do a complete cycle after I transfered everything over..... I dont know if the plentium had anything to do with it but my tank only did a mini mini mini cycle. Let me rephrase myself all I got was a very small brown algae bloom on my sand.

OK heres the pics now that im done babbling!

HPIM2535.jpg

HPIM2536.jpg

HPIM2565.jpg

HPIM2552.jpg

HPIM2553.jpg

HPIM2554.jpg

HPIM2555.jpg

HPIM2556.jpg

HPIM2557.jpg

HPIM2542.jpg

HPIM2545.jpg

HPIM2547.jpg

HPIM2548.jpg

HPIM2551.jpg

Look who got a life sentence in the fuge/sump! Murdering bastard! If the next time I buy a crab and it comes up missing pinchers again my sally will be his cell mate.
HPIM2539.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New Tank Finally Setup!

Wow Hawks, it looks FABULOUS! Like totally FABOO ;). I'm a dork. But anyways, your poor CB shrimp! And I tried to warn you about the Sallys! Your corals look really good. I'm jealous. Really.

Sorry about the pics. I had to use my daughters moms camera for these pics (4.1 mega pixs). My ex got our nice camera during the "divorce".

Tank looks awesome and great aquascaping!Nice looking corals and great job on the sump.

How are those Coralife powercenters?Mine sucks and the time always gets stuck or I lose 20 or so minutes each day.

Now for some constructive criticism,Most plenums that I've seen were way deeper than that.I still think you will get some denitification though.

Tank looks awesome and great aquascaping!Nice looking corals and great job on the sump.

How are those Coralife powercenters?Mine sucks and the time always gets stuck or I lose 20 or so minutes each day.

Now for some constructive criticism,Most plenums that I've seen were way deeper than that.I still think you will get some denitification though.

As for the power centers I have had no problems but im expecting some now that I have a sump and there running next to it. The plentum is an 1 1/4 deep and there is about an 1 1/2 inch snadbed on to of that..... Do you think my sandbed it to shallowfor a plentum?

Looks great Hawks.

I think I would have boiled that coral banded though.I trust sallys more that them things.
Coral banded shrimps werent born with state issued suits for no reason.

Looks great Hawk, I really like the rockwork.

One thing, your power center looks like a disaster waiting to happen. You might want more of a drip loop?

LOL, more of a drip loop? How about SOME kinda drip loop in the first place! This is the same guy that is afraid to have a battery operated automatic fish feeder in case something goes wrong?! ;)

nice set up. I like the background - corals look good. post more pics when the dust settles.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

About the plenum thing,Hawk.
I ran a plenum several years ago.I had the eggcrate,mesh,and several different size sand grains.Total depth was nearly six inches.Most plenums that I seen were deeper.I wouldn't recommend 6'' bed...it just looks ugly to me.My guest is that you were looking for a NNR,you may still get that benefit the way it is.I stopped using the plenum because of the looks and I didn't see any real benefits(except super fast coralline growth).Curious to see how it goes for you...good luck.

LOL, more of a drip loop? How about SOME kinda drip loop in the first place! This is the same guy that is afraid to have a battery operated automatic fish feeder in case something goes wrong?! ;)

LMAO.... Im actually going to hang them on the side but ive been to busy with school and bring newly single to get to the depot for some smaller screws (no pun intended with the screw and single thing).
BTW doc the dust has settled its just a 4.1 mega pixs camera.... lost the nice one in the divorice.

I likes, congrates on your new setup. The banded coral shrimp can be a pain I have one and everytime I look at my tank first things first I look for him to make sure He did not catch anything. Like all new setups you will work out all the loose ends day by day. you never know till you try it. Good luck keep the pic's of any new add's coming.

Excellent aquascaping. system looking very nice. will be a stealer when it fills in. very nice work. I like your choice of corals.

looks great man. glad to see that you put that shrimp in the fuge. maybe he will think twice about what he has done. i wouldnt worry about probs with the coralife powerstrip, i dumped water all over mine. like all over. had to take it off compeletely and blow it out with the air compressor for like 10 minutes. figured it would have toasted it..... but still works perfect, hell maybe even better :)

Back