head and lateral line erosion

sferris1

Reefing newb
I have a yellow tang with head and lateral line erosion ive had plenty of these fish in the past and never had this problem. Does anyone know an actual cause or treatment?

In tangs, the most common cause is an inadequate diet. Does your tang get enough veggies? The primary food source should be veggies like dried seaweed sheets and Emerald Entree frozen food.

Another common cause is poor water quality. What are your parameters?

The third most common cause is long-term exposure to stray voltage in the tank. Do you have a voltmeter handy to test this? Are there any other signs of stray voltage?
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa101602.htm

diet has been osi flake with the occasional fresh spinache. Voltage is not an issue im sure. Parameters are no3 = 0, no2 = 0, ph = 8 to 8.4

Hlle will not reverse on body damage. Fins will clear up. Did you receive the fish with hlle damage or has this happened over time in your aquarium?

There are lots of other theories but not certainties with hlle. One is that tinyparticulate matter from carbon running In your system gets on their skin (since tangs are scale-less fish) and bothers their skin and helps along with the process of hlle. Its not proven, but I stopped running it in my system because I did not want to run the risk with my vlamingi.

It happened over some time, body is ok just the fins are bad. Ive read that about the carbon though maybe ill remove it and see what happens. Any idea on how fast the fins will heal if the problem is solved.

As long as there are no aggressors in the tank they should heal at a pretty fast pace. I have had a couple fish that tore fins on my vlamingi and koran (got rid of the aggressor) and they will heal over a couple weeks or so. I don't know if I buy into the carbon theory, but I figured better safe than sorry with that. Another thing I do is add selcon to my frozen food mysis, or emerald entre. Also garlic extract. You can get selcon on the internet and garlic extract at pretty much any LFS it will last a long time. I would pick up nori and feed that on a clip 2-3 times a week. From what I understand, the nori actually yields better nutrition for fish than vegetable matter from our world.

Back