Heat fluctuation.

Redfoot

Reefing newb
Is heat fluctuations a big problem to overcome with SW tanks? at night my house can drop to around 12c/54f, is it just a case of buying a good water heater?

Cheers

Temperature swing can be extremely bad in a saltwater tank.
Ideally you want a stable temp.No more than a 1 degree move over 24 hours.
A 3 degree swing either way can be deadly.

Temperature swing can be extremely bad in a saltwater tank.
Ideally you want a stable temp.No more than a 1 degree move over 24 hours.
A 3 degree swing either way can be deadly.

what I'm asking is, is a water heater able to cope with big fluctuations in room temp?

Yes, thats why we all run them, its also why we all have fans....its a balancing act. I keep my tank at 79.

Yes, thats why we all run them, its also why we all have fans....its a balancing act. I keep my tank at 79.

Yeah I guess it's a daft question but it just seems surprising that a little heater costing a few pounds can keep on top of big fluctuations in room temp.

Takes all my time keeping me warm in the winter, never mind some fish :D

Good to know though, as it was one of my main concerns, oh and no need for a fan in the north of England, one less expense there then.

I would suggest getting two small heaters, first if like you say it is extreme temp differences might help more second, heaters go out and when they do it normally is in the on position. Tank boils suck....

I have a 200 watt heater in a 65 gallon tank set at 80. It's a freshwater tank, not that it matters...
I keep my house at 68 to 70 in the Winter and the heater I have in the tank won't get past 77 and mostly stays at about 75. I'm going to add another 200 watt heater. I'm getting one that will automatically turn off at 93.

I have a 200 watt heater in a 65 gallon tank set at 80. It's a freshwater tank, not that it matters...
I keep my house at 68 to 70 in the Winter and the heater I have in the tank won't get past 77 and mostly stays at about 75. I'm going to add another 200 watt heater. I'm getting one that will automatically turn off at 93.

I'd advise hooking them to a temperature controller. That the controller will handle how the heaters run and you wont have to trust your tank to something that breaks more often than not.

I'd advise hooking them to a temperature controller. That the controller will handle how the heaters run and you wont have to trust your tank to something that breaks more often than not.

+1 Yote..
If you check reviews on aquarium heaters you will find they are the least reliable piece of equipment you will own. DO NOT trust the heaters on the market today with the lives of the life forms in your tank.

Buy some kind of temp control device to control the heater.. as a bonus nearly all of them control the fan or chiller too. When using a temp control device you turn your heater up and let the device supply or kill power.

If you have some wiring know how, I run an STC-1000 on both my tank and my change water tank. They are easy to get and I paid $35 delivered to my door each. They come with the matched temp probe having several feet of wire. They are a manufacturing grade temperature controller. It is VERY reliable and will control both your heater and your fan and/or chiller. It will hold your temp within +/- .3°C. I ordered one form inside the US and one from Japan and they both got here quick. Again, they do require wiring knowledge. I run a 115VAC relay for each, my fans and my heaters.. I do this to carry the load outside the device, although the inside contacts are rated for 30 amps ar 115VAC. The internal relays are small and I feel safer with running the coils of two slave relays to carry the amperage loads of the heaters and fans. These are VERY POPULAR with home brewers. They use wire connections like some speakers, you put the wire in a hole and tighten a set screw. I mention this because if you can wire and want to not spend a lot of $$ to control you temp.... "there's your sign".

Last edited:
Back