Heater Location

Reefster

Reefing newb
I have a 2 month old set up and have put the heater in the tank. After scrolling through some of the pics on this board i noticed some heaters in the sump. I would rather put the heater in the sump so it does not clutter up the sight of the tank.

So, my question is does the entire heater need to be covered in water? i think my heater is about 12" long, but the sump is only about 7" at it's maximum.

That all depends on the heater. What kind do you have?

Some have a line where the height of the water should be at, others are fully submersible. You need to have the water either up to that line, or covering the whole heater.

You can lay most heaters on their side to get them submerged.

It depends on the heater, most are submersible but, some need to have the top 3-4 inches above the water line. If it's submersible you can place it diagonally under the water.

The only advantage to having it in the sump is to get clutter out of the tank. The heater will work just as well in either the tank or the sump.

If it is a glass heater do NOT leave any part of it out of the water.

In the case of a power outage, if you have limited power to run a pump and heater you wish to move the heater to the mian display.

Thanks everyone for advice. I have an Eheim TSRH heater - 200W. Found the directions and it says that it has a max immersion depth of 0.5m. I just want to be sure I am understand that the entire thing can go under water.

Back