Heater Trouble

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
:frustrat:I just got a new tank and Im having trouble with the heater. When the heater is on its lowest it is 81 degrees in the tank and when the heater is off it is 70 degrees. I thought to but it on a timer but i dont have room

Are you sure you are trying to set the heater correctly? The trick is to get the tank up to the correct temp that you want. Then turn the heater dial until the light just kicks on. After that, you shouldn't have to adjust it at all. If that is the way you are doing things, then you could have a faulty heater. If the heater is set to go on at 81, the temp should not drop as low as 70.

Can you pull the cap off? The cap that serves as the dial? Pull it off, then put it back on so that you can start the notch on the cap at the top of the dial, and turn it down even more. Do you understand or am I explaining it poorly?

For a large tank really I would say get 2 heaters that are each half of what your tank needs. This gives you some room if 1 of em does fail. Heaters are cheap. I wouldn't bother messing with one thats not working just get a new one.

I follow u biff but its not working should i just put a timer on it so i can have it heat it up then let it stop my be it is just not stoppin heatin im gonna try and get a new i depends if i can find the time this weekend

It sounds like your heater is broken. Get a new one. You can't just put the heater on a timer, because you have no way of knowing when the tank will need to be heated if you're not there to watch the thermometer all the time.

Aquarium heaters come with an adjustable dial that sets the tank at a certain temperature. When it falls below the temperature you have it set at, the heater will kick on and heat it back up to where you want it.

I had a problem with an older heater when we were first setting up where it wouldn't kick off when my tank was at the temperature it was set at.

Heaters are pretty much idiot-proof. If you can't get it to set right its probably broken.

Back