heater

imdaring

love my reef
yesterday I went to target feed my coral and when I put my hand in the water it felt really WARM so I went to the back of the tank and my digital heater said that the water was at 78 deg.. so I kinda blew it off, well through the day I thought my coral and nems were looking a little sluggish so I felt the out side of the tank and the glass was warm so then I was trying to scope out my old suction thermometer to see if my heater was going haywire but of course I couldn't find it later in the day after I shut off the lights thinking maybe that would help I found a stick on thermometer and here to find out that my tank water was 90 deg.. so I got out the fans and slowly cooled the water down, well today I lost 1 RBTA I took that out right away and flushed it and one of my toad stools is looking a little Grey but I think it will pull through, but everything else look s good..

Do you think I should do a water change due to the nem dieing in the tank

a water change really never hurts anything if its well matched to the tanks params, heaters stink! with all the money invested in a reef its all at risk over a stupid $20 heater, you'd think manufacturers would figure this out, sorry for your loss

I think you should also replace your thermometer as well. If your thermometer had been working, you would have known the heater was broken.

I don't trust digital ones. I've had some bad luck with them giving bad readings. I use the cheap $2 alcohol based ones. It's kind of hard for them to screw up!

Very true this was not cheep its a titanium digital thermomitor its still working but in order for it to keep the water at 78deg I had to turn it down to 69 dedg. so the digital part is off by 12 deg
a water change really never hurts anything if its well matched to the tanks params, heaters stink! with all the money invested in a reef its all at risk over a stupid $20 heater, you'd think manufacturers would figure this out, sorry for your loss

ya Im going to swap it out with one of my other ones I have 2 reg ones with the dial on it
I think you should also replace your thermometer as well. If your thermometer had been working, you would have known the heater was broken.

I don't trust digital ones. I've had some bad luck with them giving bad readings. I use the cheap $2 alcohol based ones. It's kind of hard for them to screw up!

running my RO system now, going to be gone most of the day so I should have enough water by the time I get home this eve..

everything in my tank is doing great, lost the 1 nem but thats all, but now I'm wondering if maybe that heater has been going haywire for a while now about 6 month ago I started to loose my hard corals like my acans, bubble coral, duncans they are still living but like my bubble I had a beautiful 3' bubble and now its about 1/2 in of it left and the same goes for the rest of the hard coral they have been slowly starting to diminish, but now that I have the heater under control may it has been having temp spikes off and on?? they coral seems to be slowly coming back.

Back