heating control

mm16

Reefing newb
Any suggestions on a heating control. And I was told to get 1000 watt heater for my tank that is 285 gallons, is that the right size? Does it make to use two 500 watt heaters.

The biggest failure point for reef tanks is the heater. I had a tank boil a few years back and have told myself I wouldnt do that again. Some people go the use two heater route but to me that still wasnt good enough. Others buy a heater controller that just monitors the heater. Which is good but only does one thing. I have bought a reefkeeper lite controller which will take care of the heater and run my ato and monitor the ph and turn on fans if needed. Controllers can do a lot of stuff. There are two basic choices Digital Aquatics and Neptune system. For that size tank I would think you will want the full system so either the reefkeeper elite or the Apex bulkreef carries both Monitors & Controllers - Bulk Reef Supply as well as marine depot Aquarium Controllers, Temperature, mV (ORP) & pH Controllers, & Aquarium Monitors If it where me I would decide what you want it to do, ie heater, ato, lights, reactors etc and then compare the two and check out the reviews. I know people on here that use each system. Its kinda like Ford and Chevy...or a better comparison is Pc or Mac...The reefkeeper is all windows based the apex is apple friendly..Hope this helps...

Any suggestions on a heating control. And I was told to get 1000 watt heater for my tank that is 285 gallons, is that the right size? Does it make to use two 500 watt heaters.

cheapest way... buy 3 heaters... 300 watts each.. if one dies, it won`t overheat, because it will keep heating, the others will turn off, and one heater won`t be able to heat the 280 gallons.., and drop of temperature won`t be big... just change the heater and you are good to go... controllers are for very american like :D :D

Back