helllppp with skimmer.

Nickoz1

Reefing newb
So i need help with my skimmer. First of all i purchased this skimmer on ebay... Aquarium Protein Skimmer w/ 300GPH Pump Powerhead 40 to 80 Gal Tank Micro Bubble | eBay

When setting it up, its not bringing my level u to the top of the neck. i tryed adjusting the Air tube adjustment...higher and lower. Just either gives me more bubbles, or less... and when i turn it also...it will raise the water, but just not enough to get my bubbles out.

i tryed pulling out and checking everything... Blowing in tube, makeing sure no saltcreep there, checked the pump...nothing seems to be helping me...

any ideas? or something i can make it work..

I know its not the best, but was just looking for something to get me buy at the moment, till i upgrade in future... as long as i have one.. better then no skimmer i thought of.

anyways... thanks in advance.

skimmers have a break-in period. Some are a week and others are several weeks. What I suspect is happening is that your skimmer is running flat. It takes time for the organics to build up and create more surface tension for the bubbles to build up to the top of your skimmer. Set it low for right now and let it run. You'll know when the break-in is over. When it starts you can adjust the level for a more wet or more dry skim mate.
Good luck!

Well so far iv been running it for about 4 days... should i leave air pretty open then? how will i know its compplete the break in period? does it raise water or just slime and foam?.. i just wannna make sure im not losing my head and im wasting my time on this skimmer if something is wrong..
but guess ill wait it outs.

you have to wait for your skimmer to develop a slime layer basically inside all the tubes to get adequate flow. also maybe some chem's your using either make too much bubbles or not enough. i would wait it out alittle bit.

thanks guys. does it matter if my airline is adjusted with less or or more air to help this this proceed? less air usally rises it i believe but less bubbles with a higher level in water and more air brings it down...but has more bubbles...

Push as much air through it as you can. You can also raise the water level in your sump to add volume to the skimmer. I suspect it is not sitting in enough water for it to function properly.

Back