Hello All NEW TANK

littlenemo1024

Reefing newb
Hello All,

I just started my new tank. It is a 14gallon bio cube. I set everything up and for the last 36 hours have waited for the sand to settle. It was just about all settled so I turned the pump on and it caused the sand to move around. Is my sand to fine or do I have to pack the sand down? Or do I need to get some live rock in the tank? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

LittleNemo :question:

Welcome to the site! And congrats on setting up your first tank

You'll definitely need to add some Live Rock, it's part of the filtration in SW tanks. Also, make sure your pump returns aren't pointed down at the sand bed, that could cause it to stir up.

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
Brians right.You need some rock in there.It'll hold all your biological filtration and make your fish feel more at home.

Thanks all for the advice and the warm welcomes, I am glad to be a part of the forum!

I am going to by my live rock today! How long should I wait before I get a couple damsel fish?

You probably don't want damsels at all. In a 14 gallon tank, you will be limited to keeping only 1 or 2 fish anyways. Damsels are very aggressive and they are jerks that will kill other things in your tank.

When you add the live rock, you will probably kick start your cycle. The cycle will take around 2 to 4 weeks to complete. If the live rock doesn't start your cycle, add some fish food to rot in the tank. Once your ammonia and nitrites are back down at zero, you can add your first fish. Unless you want to keep a damsel forever, add a fish that you like.

There's no need to cycle with damsels. It's an outdated practice.

Back