Hello and Question About Dead Fish

kilteddj

Reefing newb
First off, hello and I am glad to be a member of Living Reefs. I've only recently moved onto a Reef tank, so I have a couple of questions.

First off, I have just got my LR to where I really like it, took me a fair amount of time, I'll tell you. But I have come home and found a Domino Damsel nowhere to be found! So I think that maybe my Coral Banded Shrimp has maybe chomped him (or the Emerald Crab), am I correct in thinking that? A couple of my smaller fish have gone walkabout before and I have never found them when I removed my LR. I am thinking that this may be the case, but I am looking for advice.

The other question is, should I go searching for the fish? I have plenty of cleaning crew that would be more than happy to chomp down on it if it's dead, I may just be being lazy, but removing all that rock again just seems a right PITA.

All advice appreciated and look forward to more thread info!

Cheers,

Brent

leave your clean up crew to do their job, that is what they are there for. and i doubt the emerald crab had anything to do with it most likely the CBS and if it was the CBS he didnt leave anything for the CUC to eat. thank the CBS for killing the damsel since they are asshole fish and then remove the CBS before he kills another fish, they have a tendency to do that. and i wouldnt keep removing the rock because it could kick off mini cycles

by now im sure the cleaning crew has taken care of it so no need to search. I do remove dead fish if i see them but if not, i know the crabs will take care of it.

Keep an eye on your ammonia levels.
If the fish died and/or was wedged inside or under the LR, where the CUC couldn't get too (highly unlikely, but you never know), you may see an ammonia/nitrate rise.

Good luck....welcome to LvnRfs & sorry to hear about your loss? (I think I covered just about all bases).

welcome as well. my cbs has never touched another fish except my big yellow tang i thought he was cleaning him maybe i was wrong, but the cleanup crew will take care of that.

Hi and welcome! I agree with what has been posted already -- coral banded shrimp are well known to attack and kill fish. Unless you don't mind that continuing, I'd remove him now.

Hey Guys, thanks for all your help with this and I am glad to be a part of Living Reefs. I removed the CBS yesterday and felt better about it immediately. I used the store credit and bought a Foxface and Yellow Tang!

Again, thanks for all the help, there's more questions to come.

Brent

Back