Hello Everyone

Sashimi

Reefing newb
I thought I'd say hi to everyone and tell you about my experience.

I've been keeping aquariums for 10 years now and spent the first 7 years doing freshwater tanks. Over the past 3 years, I've been converting my 75g to salt water. I made a stand and canopy with a 6 bulb t-5 icecap retrofit. I'm using a CPR CS102 overflow with two 1" bulk heads. One feeds the sump, and the other feeds a refugium. The sump has a reef octopus protein skimmer, titanium heater and return pump. The return pump feeds 3 lockline spouts. I also have 2 tunze powerheads for more water movement.

I spent three years in Japan, where I collected live rock from the ocean while I was collecting gear. I'm not sure how much rock I have. I cleaned and dried out the rock and packed it up when I moved back to the states. Now that I am somewhere where I shouldn't be moving for a long time, I want to gain some more experience beyond what books and forums can teach you.

This is my first saltwater aquarium, I'm filling the aquarium with ro/di water right now and mixing in the salt. Happy Reefing.

Welcome to the site! When you say you're filling the tank with water and adding the salt, it's really best to make the saltwater then add it to the tank. Saves you from wasting salt, which is expensive, and you can't do that when you have critters in there! I checked out your thread, your tank looks great! Welcome aboard :)

Welcome to the site! When you say you're filling the tank with water and adding the salt, it's really best to make the saltwater then add it to the tank. Saves you from wasting salt, which is expensive, and you can't do that when you have critters in there! I checked out your thread, your tank looks great! Welcome aboard :)

There are no critters yet, I put the rocks in there, filled with RO/DI water, and mixed in the salt, a few cups at a time, in the sump until I got it just right. Then I added the live sand to start cycling. Don't worry, in the future I will premix and ensure temp, salinity, ph, ect ate perfect when doing water changes.

Back