hello from mississippi

Reggie&Angie

Reefing newb
Hi,(I'm Angie) I am really just the observer of the fish tank. All I do is pick the fish and clean the outside and feed them. My husband does all the measuring and inside stuff. We have had this tank for about15 years but have had to start it over every time we get transferred. This current cycle has been going for about a year. I am really excited about the starfish we got yesterday.But he may be sick or dying. Its the first I don't know um special fish I guess that we have had. Though the other fish are pretty interesting. I got what I call jail fish, but my husband tells me they are damsels and some blue and yellow ones. One of the jail fish plays hide and seek with you. LOL. I know sounds strange but he does. Anyway nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome! You will love it around here! I am no help with the starfish, I have never had one! But maybe he is just getting used to his new home?

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you all. What type of star fish is it and why do you think he is dying. You should check your nitrates, that's what cause starfish to do poorly.

Hello and welcome! Some starfish do not do well in our tanks -- they starve to death very quickly because we just can't provide them with what they need. But we need to know what kind of starfish it is in order to help. Posting pics would help. Welcome to the site!

He is doing better I think. The tank heater went crazy and the temp went to 90 degrees. We were able to bring it down over an hour or so. Right now I think he is eating one of the damsels that died because of the heat spike. One of the new damsels and two snails died.

One of my old damsels is being a butt. Normally he just hangs out in his shells but last night he went crazy chasing the surviving new damsel (we had gotten two and we already had two) and went the starfish climbed on his shell house he pushed it off!! I did not know they could do that to a starfish.

He's a chocolate chip starfish.

The pet shop said to feed him twice a week preferably frozen since the fish will eat the other stuff before he gets it. And to just place him on the food. Does this sound correct?

How do you check the nitrates? Are there strips or??
106_1042.jpg

106_1044.jpg

get a api basic marine test kit that will have test for ph, trates and trites and ammonia.

Welcome to the site Angie.
Thats a Chocolate Chip star.Their fairly hardy and that one looks healthy.
Sorry about the damsels though.

Thanks guys he is doing very well. He had a good meal out of the damsel and seems to be doing fine now. And they bully damsel seems to have calmed down I guess he was just showing that he is alpha fish.

Back