Hello from Orlando

wolfie357

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I'm a beginner at this but I am lovin it so far. I was given a 55gal tank that was up and running for about four years so I got to skip all the fun of setting up and cycleing from square one. But it also has a #$#@ load of aiptasia. See my buddy had the tank in college and then got married and then had a kid so he neglected the tank for a year or so. Everything that made it had stood the test of time. I need ideas on zapping the aiptasia and there is too much to try and kill them off by injection. I want to do it naturally and understand that may mean some of my coral will be picked at. Thats fine at this point I dont care if all the corals get eaten as long as the aiptasia go too. Thanks Wolfie:death:

Welcome to living reefs! The best saltwater forum you'll find.
You should look into peppermint shrimp, I had a small aiptasia outbreak and they took care of it in two days.

thanks I think I'm going to get a few pepp shrimp and a butterfly or two. Not sure what species is best, copperbanded was what I was considering. Do scarlet hermits eat aiptasia? Some sites say they will and other sites dont mention it.

The copperband butterfly is the only butterfly I know that will eat aiptasia, and their cool looking. But, they can pick at inverts so you need to be careful in a reef tank. I'm not sure about the hermits though

I've never heard of scarlet hermits eating aiptasia anemones.Doubtful,that information would be all over the web.Try the peppermint shrimps first because not all copperbands will go after aiptasia and if they do,once those are gone,many starve to death.They are listed as ''difficult'' and ''expert only'' because it is difficult to get them eating prepared foods.

and welcome to the site!

When you get the peppermints make sure you don't end up with a useless heard of damn camel shrimp. they can get mixed up by a careless LFS worker.

Peppermint:

Camel:
Notice the hump on the camels back.

Last edited:
Hey man!!! Welcome to the reef!

+1 to all the above.

I live in Casselberry, Fl (I say casselberry because only a small percentage REALLY live in Orlando, we just say we live in Orlando). So if you need any help or advice lemme know. There's a great store called Sea in the City with VERY helpful, knowledgeable workers and the owner, Marcey, is AWESOME! I highly recommend stopping by their shop. Not trying to make it sound like it's an advertisement but many LFS' aren't very good, but they're great there.

Also, checkout ORCA's (Orlando Reef Caretakers Association) website. They have equipment and livestock at great prices. There's a frag swap/bidding coming up on July 31st if your interested. Info. is on their website.

Good luck man! Good to see another Central Floridian on the forum.

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
I normally dont recommend copperband butterflies because they can be tough fish to keep.But I think that if you have that many aiptasias,you just be able to pull it off.:D
Personally,I think thats the key to keeping butterflies happy in a closed system.I think they are a lot like mandrines in needing their natural foods.

Thanks, I am actually in lake mary sanfordish area so am very familiar with casselberry. Thanks for the info and I will visit the lfs you mentioned

Back