Hello from Toronto

alsnorkel

Reefing newb
Hi All,

I am a great admirer of the oceans and the beautiful life they sustain. I love to swim and do snorkeling when i have free time.

Currently I have a 29g fresh water tank, running for about 3 years. A friend of mine just upgraded his 150g to a 300g tank. His setup is amazing. He wants to sell it.
His 150g tank setup comes with refugium with all the plumbing and a sump pump. He wants to sell it for $700-800 approx. I will have to buy the skimmer.

I would like get your feedback about this setup. Should I buy it from him.

regards,

Al

Does the setup come with plumbing, lights, powerheads? Anything extra? Or just bare tank. Because I would see if you can bring him down to $500-600 range.

Does the setup come with plumbing, lights, powerheads? Anything extra? Or just bare tank. Because I would see if you can bring him down to $500-600 range.

Yes It does. Stand, lights with canopy included but no power heads or skimmer. Is 150g the right size for a beginner ?

As big as you can afford is good. You have to take into account the price for salt, how you will get your RODI water to mix with salt. The cost of equipment like powerheads skimmer.
Can I ask what the lights are?

As big as you can afford is good. You have to take into account the price for salt, how you will get your RODI water to mix with salt. The cost of equipment like powerheads skimmer.
Can I ask what the lights are?

I think the lights are standard tube lights for corals. no idea about RODI. Affordability is not an issue but I want a basic tank then upgrade slowly. My friend has experience and he was saying to get the basic setup going until the tank has cycled. Then add a few corals, damsels and snails until the tank is stable. He will help me setup but I want to get a second opinion.

Ok, well I think you need to do some reading into it. I suggest you read all of these articles:

New to Reefkeeping

As for you saying that you will add damsels, cycling with fish is pointless and cruel, instead you can achieve the same results with a piece of table shrimp.
I think those articles will really help you determine what you want ect.

Good chap Waddi, hes got you all setup, I would definitely take the time to not only read, but understand, what is in those articles. Knowledge is the cheapest thing to find in this hobby and will save you $$$ in the long run.

Back