Hello, newbe

JW&SM

Reefing newb
Hello! Me and my G/F have decided to start a salt water aquarium. We have no idea what to get or anything about it. I am hoping some folks on here will be able to help us out. We have a tank, 25Gal. and thats it. We are starting from scratch. I need to know what I will need to get started, and where we should buy the supplies. We are planning on having the common fish to start with till we get the hang of it. What would be some good starter fish? I also would like to have some Coral and/or live reefs. Hope someone can help us out. Thanks in advance

JW&SM

Hi and welcome!
You will need rock for the tank -- approximately 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. You will need some sand for the bottom -- dry sand is fine; you don't need to buy live. To save money on rock, you can buy half live and half dry rock. The dry rock is much cheaper than live.

In a 25 gallon tank, you will be able to keep 2 or 3 fish. Clowns would be a good starter fish, as would most types of gobies or firefish.

To keep corals, you will need good lights. Lights are probably going to be the most expensive part of the setup that you'll need to buy. T5s or a metal halide pendant will be perfect for a 25 gallon tank.

And welcome to the site!

Back