Hello to Everyone....

doom239

Reefing newb
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here.
Hopefully I can get some much needed help from you guys.

Here are my setups

1-40gal Freshwater setup
1-Largemouth Bass
2-Suckers (aka Plecos)
10-Feeder gold fish disapering by the min. lol
95209547ve4.jpg

74272097fu0.jpg

1-55Gal Saltwater Setup
3-Blue Damsels
photopv7.jpg

67139485rl3.jpg

Thats all for now.

Wating to get a Lion Fish for my saltwater and also some live coral.

Well I have a bunch of qestions to ask you guys about my saltwater tank.

First Qestion: I have a protein skimmer and I dont really know how to make it work right? I have left it on and it makes bubbles and green stuff at the top, is that what I am looking for?

Second Qestion: Where can I find sand that is black? I bought this live sand and its brown not black, I want a nice black Fine saltwater sand, Anyone know where i can get it?

I cant think of anymore now but i will ask them later.

Thanks again guys.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
yeah protein skimmers make bubbles that help carry fish waste to the collection cup. Your lionfish will most likely eat those damsels so don't get too attached. Damsels can also be quite a pain in the ass to catch and aggressive towards other fish.

Welcome to the site buddy! Do yourself a favor and take the airline off of the maxi-jet, it will cut WAY back on salt creep.

Hi and welcome!
Listen to Ryan. That powerhead is producing lots of microbubbles (bad). You can easily fix that by taking the airline off.

You should also look into getting some more live rock. 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. So for your tank, 50 to 100 lbs of rock.

I was able to find black sand for my nano at Petco. Have you tried Petco and/or Petsmart? Whatever you get, make sure that it's aragonite sand. That's important for buffering saltwater tanks.

Welcome to the site buddy! Do yourself a favor and take the airline off of the maxi-jet, it will cut WAY back on salt creep.

Hi and welcome!
Listen to Ryan. That powerhead is producing lots of microbubbles (bad). You can easily fix that by taking the airline off.

You should also look into getting some more live rock. 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. So for your tank, 50 to 100 lbs of rock.

I was able to find black sand for my nano at Petco. Have you tried Petco and/or Petsmart? Whatever you get, make sure that it's aragonite sand. That's important for buffering saltwater tanks.

Ok well I am use to the freshwater setup I was thinking hey lots of bubbles thats good they can breath now!!...lol
Well Just wondering what would I need to do to get like oxygen and stuff inside the tank?

Just make sure the water surface has a fairly decent ripple on it,and good flow through out the tank.

I found the sand I wanted Thanks guys.

"Tahitian Moon Sand"

Anyone every try this stuff?

I bought the aragonite live sand about 40 pounds and it turned brown after it settled to the ground.

My protein Skimmer is a

"Odyssea PS75 Protein Skimmer"
Its rated to 75gals so hopefully I am good, it was a little on the cheap side.

Fish get their oxygen from the water. The oxygen they use is dissolved oxygen. The air bubbles being put out by the powerhead simply rise to the surface of the water and dissipate. This oxygen is not dissolved, therefore the fish can't use it. In fact, those microbubbles can irritate the fish's gills and harm them.

Back