hello

budblue

sheik yerbouti
hello all :D
just joined the site
am from England and have just set a small reef tank up 100x50x50cm deltec microreef
hopefully will be able to give and receive some good advice off the forum

I know you have to be really thorough in removing the egg sacs.

Try a coral dip like Lugol's.
Lugol's???
not heard of that
it might not be available to me here in the uk
ive done a ro water dip earlier and got quiet a few off my rocks :)
but also killed loads of pods too :(
had a look for eggs but had no joy
do you know out about Julian sprungs revive ??
thanks

Welcome to the Site / Loony Bin...

You will find a lot of friendly people here willing to answer your questions and help you out.

I have received loads of help here in setting up my 125 gallon reef tank.
My tank is currently cycling and awaiting its first inhabitants.

The folks here have been great at answering the stupidest questions I had and giving plenty of help/advice on many topics. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they mat sound. Folks here are very friendly and will answer whatever questions you have.

I am happy to have found this forum. I have checked out many forums and found this one to be the friendliest/most helpful community.

Welcome to the Site / Loony Bin...

You will find a lot of friendly people here willing to answer your questions and help you out.

I have received loads of help here in setting up my 125 gallon reef tank.
My tank is currently cycling and awaiting its first inhabitants.

The folks here have been great at answering the stupidest questions I had and giving plenty of help/advice on many topics. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they mat sound. Folks here are very friendly and will answer whatever questions you have.

I am happy to have found this forum. I have checked out many forums and found this one to be the friendliest/most helpful community.
thanks istrahd
for the warm welcome:D
are you using live rock/sand to cycle your tank ??
are you running a sump system and what you plan on keeping in there
cheers

thanks istrahd
for the warm welcome:D
are you using live rock/sand to cycle your tank ??
are you running a sump system and what you plan on keeping in there
cheers

I am using Dry Rock & Dry Sand in my tank... I did a long soak in RODI then mixed my salt in tank... I put two raw shrimp in to start the cycle.

I am running a 30 gallon sump. I am planning on using Rock, Sand and Chaeto in the sump. I will be putting a Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer in the sump as soon as I can spare the $200 for one. I am looking into some small mangroves to run in the sump... I don't think I will though. It's a bit small for that.

I have a heater/chiller inline on my sump return pump. I have about 30' of extra tubing on the return line in case I need extra chilling power, I can run it in a cooler full of "Blue Ice" or run it through two holes drilled into an old mini-fridge then to my tank. My tank & sump sit in my Living Room, which I do not run the AC in. I only use the Attic fan & open windows out in that part of the house so it gets very hot out there this time of year.

When the sump return gets to my tank, it Tees into two downspouts 2 feet apart so there isn't one strong cold current pouring in at one point. It is a weaker current coming in at two points. My tank is 6 feet long, so they sit 1/3 of the tank away from each other. I drilled a 1/32: Siphon break into both arms of the Tee to prevent backflow if the pump loses power. I have tested it by simulating power outages... Since adding the two siphon breaks, I have had no problems.

I need to take some pics and put them in the tank build section...

My sump wouldn't fit under my stand. It is too long to get under the stand because of the doors on the stand so I have it sitting on it's own stand next to the Display Tank. The chiller/heater sits under the DT stand with it's coil of extra tubing and cooler.

I am considering building a PVC overflow system for my sump & my DT, in case something goes wrong. They will drain through a hole in the floor and drain under the house.. The only thing I can see going wrong plumbing wise is one of my critters getting into my overflow and blocking the tubes... I have 2 siphon tubes in my HOB overflow and two 1.25" outlets on my HOB overflow box, so it would be hard for one critter to block up my whole system.

Hoping my cycle finishes soon. I am so ready to see some critters in my tank. Going to put a CUC of snails, crabs and maybe a Starfish in with a pair of black clownfish as my first live stock. I am researching some corals to add as well, but I need a better test kit to test more water parameters for the corals.

I am using Dry Rock & Dry Sand in my tank... I did a long soak in RODI then mixed my salt in tank... I put two raw shrimp in to start the cycle.

I am running a 30 gallon sump. I am planning on using Rock, Sand and Chaeto in the sump. I will be putting a Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer in the sump as soon as I can spare the $200 for one. I am looking into some small mangroves to run in the sump... I don't think I will though. It's a bit small for that.

I have a heater/chiller inline on my sump return pump. I have about 30' of extra tubing on the return line in case I need extra chilling power, I can run it in a cooler full of "Blue Ice" or run it through two holes drilled into an old mini-fridge then to my tank. My tank & sump sit in my Living Room, which I do not run the AC in. I only use the Attic fan & open windows out in that part of the house so it gets very hot out there this time of year.

When the sump return gets to my tank, it Tees into two downspouts 2 feet apart so there isn't one strong cold current pouring in at one point. It is a weaker current coming in at two points. My tank is 6 feet long, so they sit 1/3 of the tank away from each other. I drilled a 1/32: Siphon break into both arms of the Tee to prevent backflow if the pump loses power. I have tested it by simulating power outages... Since adding the two siphon breaks, I have had no problems.

I need to take some pics and put them in the tank build section...

My sump wouldn't fit under my stand. It is too long to get under the stand because of the doors on the stand so I have it sitting on it's own stand next to the Display Tank. The chiller/heater sits under the DT stand with it's coil of extra tubing and cooler.

I am considering building a PVC overflow system for my sump & my DT, in case something goes wrong. They will drain through a hole in the floor and drain under the house.. The only thing I can see going wrong plumbing wise is one of my critters getting into my overflow and blocking the tubes... I have 2 siphon tubes in my HOB overflow and two 1.25" outlets on my HOB overflow box, so it would be hard for one critter to block up my whole system.

Hoping my cycle finishes soon. I am so ready to see some critters in my tank. Going to put a CUC of snails, crabs and maybe a Starfish in with a pair of black clownfish as my first live stock. I am researching some corals to add as well, but I need a better test kit to test more water parameters for the corals.
cool sounds like its going to be good :):)
ive just hooked a algae scrubber up to try, hopfully when its full of turf
it will be the only filter I will use and I will stop skimming
ive already turned my phos reactor off ,the scrubber has been in 7 days and is just starting to turn colour :):)
its a very natural way of filtering your tank and is very efficient in removing most chems and putting pure oxygen back in too
have you ever thought of using 1 istrahd??
https://www.livingreefs.com/reef-octopus-nwb110-t47670.html

Last edited:
cool sounds like its going to be good :):)
ive just hooked a algae scrubber up to try, hopfully when its full of turf
it will be the only filter I will use and I will stop skimming
ive already turned my phos reactor off ,the scrubber has been in 7 days and is just starting to turn colour :):)
its a very natural way of filtering your tank and is very efficient in removing most chems and putting pure oxygen back in too
have you ever thought of using 1 istrahd??
https://www.livingreefs.com/reef-octopus-nwb110-t47670.html

That looks like the model of reef octopus I am buying. Not 100% certain. I would have to see the box to tell you...

No, I haven't looked into algae scrubbers... Let me know how it works for you... Probably have to PM me... (Short term memory not so great).

I am planning on trying to use only natural filtration as much as possible (until the tank starts showing signs of not keeping up) with Rock, Sand, CUC, etc. I will have the skimmer in the sump and I am probably going to use a UV light on the sump return pump... but other than that, I haven't planned on using mechanical methods. I would be interested in your results...

Back