:( Help anyone?

Veilside0Three

Reefing newb
Okay here goes, sorry this is so long...

I started a tank, because i wanted to keep my favorite fish, a dogface puffer. After doing lots of research, and asking a lot of people, I decided it should be okay to put one in my tank with my current livestock.

Here is what my tank looked like before the DF:

90 Gallon 60x18x18. 2 Ocellaris, 1 scooter, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 yellow headed sleeper goby, 1 sixline, 1 firefish, 1 pencil urchin(asian?), 1 coral beauty angel.

First off, i'm going to plead guilty to saving fish from petco. My petco isnt that bad, and out of all of the fish i've bought from them(all but the clown goby, and coral beauty) , only one fish didn't make it. I have now tried three times to buy from my local fish shop, and all three fish(including my coral beauty) passed away within a few weeks, the coral beauty lasted less than a day. So basically its either order offline, drive 3 hours to seattle, or go to petco.

So the DF has been in the tank for 5 days now. Hes eating fine, brine, mysis, silversides. He doesnt seem to bother anyone in the tank, spends most of his time staring out of the tank at passerbys. There has been one casualty that i know was him, which was a $3 peppermint shrimp that i bought a few weeks back to take care of my aiptasia.

Today I notice my firefish not coming out to eat this morning. Then again mid afternoon, and finally after it didnt come out for its night time meal, i decided to move the rocks. *If you have a weak stomach, or a soft heart, skip the rest of this paragraph* I find my pencil urchin on top of my firefish, which is about 1/4 eaten(most of the red), with its bone sticking out the back, but still alive and trying to swim after i moved the urchin. I pulled it out, and put it in the QT for about an hour, and it continued to try to swim, only upside down, just wasnt looking well.

Long story short(somewhat), the firefish didn't make it. Now of course the urchin looked like the one to blame, but really? I can't see a pencil urchin catching a dartfish that sleeps in a narrow hole in a rock... What do you all think? Right now the livestock i'm worried about losing consists of the 2x ocellaris, the clown goby, the scooter(especially), and the yellow headed sleeper.

I'm thinking of setting up my 29gallon as a secondary tank, and putting all of these guys in that one instead, and using this tank as a fish only semi/aggressive tank. I know that the sleeper goby gets up to 7in, would it be okay to keep in a tank with puffers, triggers, lions, ect?

Once again, I apologize for the long post, just really looking for some input here..

well that puffer is a pred fish and if it can fit it in its mouth it is going to eat it. they will eat clams chew on corals all inverts

That urchin didnt catch those firefish.And that puffers not going to catch them unless he gets extremely lucky.
Thats not to say the puffer hadnt stressed them to point of dieing.

Agree with everyone.

Also, the livestock you mentioned is too much for a 29g. You should go no more than four fish in a tank that size.

Good luck!

Back