help choosing coral

wavemaster

Reefing newb
Wanting to add some more coral to my biocube 29. It has the regular lighting so can't add anything that needs too much light. Looking for hardy corals.

Would these work and does anyone have them (Torch coral, Fox coral Bubble coral)? Looking for recommendations on other corals aswell.

Current stock:
- 2 black and white ocellaris clowns
- blue/green chromis
- blood shrimp
-sand conch
-hermit crabs
-snails
-25lbs live rock
-corals (green star, kenya tree, mushrooms, big green frogspawn, finger leather)

The bubble and torch corals are both very aggressive and need to be placed at least 5-6 inches away from other corals and each other. I don't know if there's enough room in the biocube to do that? If your frogspawn has done well under your current lights, then you'd likely be fine with a torch. I tried a fox but didn't have good luck with it. Given your lights, I might try some zoanthids instead and maybe a different colored frogspawn or hammer coral

The bubble and torch corals are both very aggressive and need to be placed at least 5-6 inches away from other corals and each other. I don't know if there's enough room in the biocube to do that? If your frogspawn has done well under your current lights, then you'd likely be fine with a torch. I tried a fox but didn't have good luck with it. Given your lights, I might try some zoanthids instead and maybe a different colored frogspawn or hammer coral

Thanks for letting me know about the fox coral. My frogspawn was 1 head when I bought it and now has about 10 heads. It is in the back corner where it is away from the other corals and still has lots of room to grow. I have little space on the rocks as the mushrooms have taken over but lots of space on the sand.

If you have lots of space on the sand, what about trying an open brain? Some of the red ones have great splashes of color!

Updated list
thinking of adding 1 or more of the following:
-torch coral
-hammer coral
-candy canes
-open brain

I bought a Zoa frag last year and it slowly vanished. Not sure what happened to it as all the other livestock was fine. Everything I read says they are one of the easiest corals to keep. Would it be worth trying another one?

I vote hammer coral, just love the look of it. Also I'd pass on getting any more softies. One day you look in the tank and realize it's all you can see!

All of those corals would be good choices for your tank. I personally like the look of hammer corals the best out of those. :)

The stock lighting for the BC29 is about 70 some odd watts of CPL light. That ain't much. That BC29 stock lighting hood will generate heat problems in warm weather. I had to leave the lids open with a fan blowing. I ditched the hood and put a 150 watt sunpod over my tank and it was enough for clams.

Back