Help chose lights

symon_say

Under the sea
Hi

I'm planning my first SW tank, it will be a mixed reef, but i'm not planning on keeping difficult corals mosly low light and some med light higher in the tank.

The tank will be 60x20x22 and i'll use T5, what would you chose 4x60" T5 320W or 6x48" T5 324W if i get 48" i'l fix then 3 set to one side and the other 3 to the other side, this way i get less light to the corners and more in the center.

Help me with this, thanks.

I would go with the 6 bulb light. Even if you think you dont want those higher end corals and clams, im sure at some point you are going to want and you will regret not having enough light.

But i really think you should look into metal halide lights, they will be a much better option for your tank. How you are planning on hanging the lights you are talking about im pretty sure isnt possible or smart.

i'll build a canopy, i can add more when i need it for those corals and clams or i can put more light just in the area i'll put then, Problem is power bill is high here, so cutting consumption is a must.

Then i think you should try and find some LED lighting, that in the long run will be cheapest because they use the smallest amount of power and they dont need to have the bulbs replaced every year.

But what i was saying is, that they dont make 3 bulb fixture. You should look for 6 or 4 bulb fixture that runs either the whole length of the tank or 1/2 the length and get two.

I think i didn't explain myself right, LED's are to expensive yet, i'll put then, but i'll build it slowly that way the expense is in time and not all in front, but in the given time i need to give at least decent light.

I will get a 6 bulb 48" fixture or a 4 bulb 60" fixture, if i get the 48" fixture or retrofit i'll put then in a canopy instead of the fixture itself, and i'll put then is this way:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-------
-------XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X is bulb
- is just empty space

If i need more light later, i can add smaller T5 or even LED's for the area that i need more, my question is would you chose de 6 48" bulb in that way or 4 straight 60" bulbs, both system have about the same wattage

If you're buying a pre made fixture, you cant stagger the lights like that. The only way you could stagger lights like that is to build them into a custom canopy retrofitting your own ballasts

I dont know if this is wise, but you could always get a 6 bulb fixture and run 4 bubls instead of 6 (Note: I dont know if that is smart or a good idea as I started with metal halides and now have LEDs over my tank)

Right now money is kind of an issue, so i'm planning on getting a mid price light fixture, later i'll disarm it, and retrofit my canopy with some upgrades like better reflectors and better bulbs when the time come.

But i might do a retro fit from the beginning, that's why i'm asking, cause i'm planning everything before i start.

You should either wait to get the good lights now or just start your retro fit. If you buy mid priced stuff and then do more you will end up spending more money total.

I think i'm gonna start the retrofit, and now that this is the case, what are some good not so expensive ballasts?? preferably that can handle 2,3 or 4 bulbs.

Back