HELP!!!!!! CRACK in aquarium!!!!

SJojo3377

Reefing newb
Please help us!! We have a 10 gallon nano that we set up in April and today i noticed A CRACK in the upper right corner! :grumble::shock:

There is no leaking happening right now. I am able to put my finger on the crack on the outside of the tank, but I do not feel it on the inside of the tank. The crack is 1.5 inches long I think coming from the top of the seam. Do any of you have experience with mag floats causing cracks in your aquarium? We have a small mag float.

Anyways, how much time do you think we have until it gets worse. I just noticed it today.

Also, when we get the new tank, how do we do a successful transfer of everything and everyone? We have 1 pep shrimp, 1 green mandarin fish, 2 false percula clown fish, astera and 3 cerith snails, and 8 blue legged hermit crabs, and 3 feather dusters. Also we have 20 pieces of corals (mostly softies, polyps, zoas) and 4 pieces of live rock.

PLEASE HELP US!!! We have invested a lot of time, effort, and love into our aquarium.

its hard to say. can u post a pic?
either way i would probably start thinking about setting up a new 10 gal or see it as an opportunity to think about upgrading to a different size.

Magfloats can cause scratches but never heard of one causing a crack, and the scratches are usually on the inside of the class. If its above the water line, you are probably okay for a little while (as in you don't need to go buy another 10g tonight) - but the crack will put stress on the rest of the glass and could compromise the integrity of the water-tight seals, etc., over time. If its just a scratch then you can buy some stuff that will remove scratches (or just leave it until you get your new set up). How long before you get your new set-up? If you are really concerned about it, you can head over to petco and buy a new 10g tank for $10 (they just started their $1/gallon sale again).

When you transfer everything, you'll want to start by catching your fish & inverts, and putting them in a 5g bucket w/ water from your tank (you don't need to fill the bucket all the way); then move your rocks to the new tank, add new substrate (toss out your old substrate, but you can keep a cup of it to seed your new substrate with bacteria from the old sand); then add about 1/2 new water and half old water from your existing tank, then put your critters and fish back in. If your corals are glued to the rocks, they should be fine when you move the rocks over even if they are out of water for a little bit while you move everything. Are you upgrading the size, or just going to get a new 10g? For a 10g tank it shouldn't take you a huge amount of time to move everything, and if you have trouble getting the fish and inverts out, then you can always take the rocks out first and then catch them and move them, but make sure to acclimate them first - w/ a 10g you'll want to be especially careful that salinity and temp between the two tanks match :)

Good luck and don't panic!

sorry honey the tank cracked so i bought you a 300 gallon!!
problem fixed

10 gallons are thin glass so if the magfloat was allowed to
snap together you could have cracked the glass

Petco has their $1 per gallon sale going right now at the store near me. $10 for piece of mind.

My magfloat did scratch my glass a bit (I suspect I picked up a small piece of sand or rock from the substrate which ultimately did it). It is right in the center of the tank on the inside.

I'm not worried about it, though, it's just a scratch and barely visible.

Hey everyone! So I kinda started 2 same threads in 2 different places. Sorry mods you can definitely erase them. I wasn't thinking at the time.... I will stick with this thread. So we found the space for a 20 gallon long. Yea! :-) But we were wondering if the lighting and the powerhead that we have is good enough. We have OdysseaT-5 HO lighting 18WX4. The light's base extends from 55-65 cm. The powerhead is a Koralia 425.
Thank you cvcdrk we are buying our 20 gallon long there, and we are also getting a nice sturdy stand there too.

Back