Help Emergency

Spaz059

Reefing newb
I have a 46 Bow Front I just set up and everything seemed to be have been right until today when I brought the live rock home and had the water and all that jazz in there. My pump and Ecoplus 1056 and my pf-800 Overflow box are apparently not compatible, the return pump is pumping to much and the overflow box is not taking out enough. I know this almost makes no sense so here is my question is it ok to leave the water stagnant over night? All that is in there is the Live Rock and water.

if you have a powerhead running in there it should be fine but if the water is completely still you may have some more die off.... the beneficial bacteria might not use all the oxygen but if you have rock with lots of critters you may have a problem

by not compatible do you mean that the pump is to strong or weak for the overflow?

To strong, it should have been just under the overflow, alls I know that came out of the rock so far is one crab and I don't currently have a powerhead... I'm going to have the new pump tomorrow, but I want everything to be ok.

Ok, problem solved for the night. I had a spare HOB filtration laying around so it has nothing to filter anything out just for water movement. Thank you lil for quick answer appreciated at such a late hour.

You should have a ball valve in between your return pump and your tank, that way you can adjust the amount of water going to the tank. It will be almost impossible for you to buy a pump that will match up perfectly to your overflow.
Also, you should have AT LEAST one powerhead somewhere in your tank. That water movement is beneficial for the health of your tank.

You should have a ball valve in between your return pump and your tank, that way you can adjust the amount of water going to the tank. It will be almost impossible for you to buy a pump that will match up perfectly to your overflow.
Also, you should have AT LEAST one powerhead somewhere in your tank. That water movement is beneficial for the health of your tank.

BL1 nailed it. :Cheers:

I used to use a ball valve for my return and it seemed to put too much back pressure on the pump v

I was afraid of the same thing so I placed a T joint right above the return. So that there was an opening pointing up down and one to the side. I plumbed the rest normally but the side opening I placed an elbow and there I placed my ball vavle, that way it's lowering the strength of the pump without straining it. Sorry if that's hard to understand I'll get a pic for you soon

I used to use a ball valve for my return and it seemed to put too much back pressure on the pump v

Plumb a T after the return pump with one end going back to the sump, the other going to the tank. Put the ball valve on the line that goes back to the sump. This will greatly reduce the amount of back pressure on the pump, since you're not stopping the water, you're just redirecting it.

But everyone else is right -- it will be impossible for you to match the flow without a ball valve.

Alright still having troubles... The return line now with the T and the ball valve are not producing enough pressure regardless of valves position, would it be best to get rid of the vinyl tubing and actually hard plumb it? This is just a little frustrating to me right now, so I'm trying to stay calm but it just bums me out!

Alright still having troubles... The return line now with the T and the ball valve are not producing enough pressure regardless of valves position, would it be best to get rid of the vinyl tubing and actually hard plumb it? This is just a little frustrating to me right now, so I'm trying to stay calm but it just bums me out!

It should level off after a minute or two, maybe you don't have enough water in the system. The overflow can o ly pull as much as the pump gives so any position under the overflows rating should work, even if not to it's potential

How long did you leave it running to see? And about that frustration... This is barely the beginning my friend haha prepare for a whole new level of anxiety ;)

I left it running for about a minute but the pumps part of the sump got down to almost under the pump so I had to kick it off or else I would burn my pump up, I'm going tomorrow to pick up and build the new return piece. Hope fully not having a kinkable hose will help. One more question kind of off topic but for the critters on the live rock is there a way to intice them out of the rock?

I really appreciate everyone's help once again, and I will keep you updated and post some pics when I get it all up and running.

Back