Help gathering my mixed reef crew.

banthonyb71

Reefing newb
I need help gahtering my fish, corals, verts, cuc. copepods etc for my 46g reef.

My tank is fairlly new and I have started with a false percula clown. I want to know some cool members I can start to add with it.

I like the sand sifting gobies. What is a good starter goby? What are other cool (cummunity fish I can add to my memebers? and what corals are nice choice?

I want to start a planner of what I will have. Not intending top just go buy them all at once) Just want to start doing research on what I want my reef to be. thanks.

How type of lighting?Total watts and number of bulbs

Personally,I'm not a fan of sand sifting gobies since they eat to much of the good stuff that live in the sand.

I like the sleeper gobies for their sand sifting efforts, but they may be a little difficult without an established pod population. You may need to supplement its diet with target feedings. But they can come in several sizes and colors and are a real workhorse on your sand. They can also be jumpers, so you'd want a covered tank. With the clown as your first fish, you may encounter aggression issues when introducing anything smaller and/or more passive than the clown.

I would wait another month before you start adding corals.Any soft or LPS corals will do just fine under those lights.There's really to many to list off hand.

If your cycle is complete and your starting to see diatoms or other algae then it's time for some snails.Astreas,trochus,ceriths for diatoms.Mexican turbos for hair algae.Perhaps some nassarius snails for scavengers.

I would not add sand sifting goby right now.Let your system mature for about six months so you can get a healthy pod population first.There are other easy gobies that don't eat the fauna in the sand like Orange Stripe Prawn and Yasha,basically any of the shrimp gobies.

Back