Help growing my corals

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
ALL my parameters are fine. I'm not going to post them up right now. Just assume that they are as good as anyone else's.

I'm still new to the hobby. Less than a year and I haven't been seeing much growth in my corals. I have 2 good size Zoa colonies. One is doing well and has actually grown a little. Not as much as I figured it would have, but it appears as healthy as it was the day I brought it home. Its on the left side of my tank.

The second one is on the opposite side of the tank. Same height as the other. About mid way in the water column. It was a big colony of small Zoas. The small colorful ones have gone and the larger brown kind have pretty much taken over that rock. Why would the smaller ones have died off?

I had a nice sized colony of Yellow polyps living just above, and to the right of the second Zoas. They were eaten by something. I never did figure out what it was. I camped out with a red light for several nights and never saw what it was that got them. Guess I'll never know. They never multiplied while I had them.

In the bottom right I have some green mushrooms on a rock. At times they look huge, at others not so huge. I guess thats the nature of them. One either died or detached and is gone. The others don't seem to be growing or multiplying. Is this normal? What is needed to insure they grow?

Yesterday I picked up a big rock covered with Lavender Mushrooms. Bright, almost florescent tips. They remind me of fiber optics! They look great. They are on the bottom left side of my tank. I wish for these to continue to be healthy and I would love for them to spread. What can I do to give them the best shot at doing so?

I would love to by smaller frags, but without having luck getting my existing corals to grow, or even survive, I'm a bit weary. I really want to populate this tank with some colour. Any guidance is appreciated.

Valid question!

Running t5s and LEDs. Two 10,000k and two actinics in 48 inch fixtures. Coralife units. The LEDs are a 48 inch blue and white, a 12 inch blue and a 12 inch magenta/blue. All are "Stunner" strips.

Corals seem to take forever to start growing, but when they do start, they grow on a consistent basis. Some corals are naturally faster than others, but patience is the key.

Not sure about spot feeding. I tried that before. Right as the cyano hit my tank. My Phospates went sky high. I know it wasn't the only cause but I have changed everything since that episode. Really don't want to go back to that!

Any suggestions for feeding them?

If you have softies, then spot feeding won't help, they get all their nutrients from the water column and the lights. I've used a product in the past with amazing results called "fuel", it's made by seachem. It really accelerates the growth of corals..especially soft corals.

I have a mix of mostly zoos and LPS in my tank. I noticed my LPS were doing really well, but my zoos were not and I lost several colonies. Several people (local reefers and a few LFS employees whom I actually trust) suggested that my water might be too clean (my nitrates were around 5 at the time) and said I should try running my water closer to 15 nitrates. Well, with the addition of a new large fish, feeding a little more, and reducing my water changes a bit, my nitrates went up to 20 (higher than I wanted, but it happened), and suddenly my zooanthid colonies took off. I've got new growth on all of them! With all softies in your tank, it could be a combination of adjusting the flow/placement, lighting/placement, and how clean your water is. I'm not advertising letting your water quality go to hell, but running a super clean 0 nitrate tank that SPS would thrive in may not be the same environment that soft corals will thrive in. That said, you might want to try adding some LPS (frogspawn, torch, blastos, duncans, trumpets, acans, etc) or easy SPS like a birdsnest and see how they do. I am still baffled by the fact that soft corals do the worst in my tank! (at the moment, I seem to be killing off a pulsing xenia colony - I think others would gladly accept my "skill" to kill the weed corals LOL)

Okay, I'm dumb. I admit it. I keep reading, over and over, never dose what you don't test for. Where do I find individual test kits for iodine, potassium, manganese, magnesium, lithium chloride, cobalt and all the other stuff in reef additives. Not knocking them, I have never tried them and actually, never heard anything negative about them. Just wondering what and how I should test for stuff like that.

You can't test for all those things. Most of those additives are not necessary as long as you are doing water changes -- the salt contains them in the correct balance.

It has been suggested that My water is too clean. YIKES? This may be true. I've been so paranoid about getting green algae or another outbreak of cyano that I've been kinda nuts about water quality. Running carbon, GFO, skimmer and filter socks. I have never gotten, since the cycle of this tank finished 11 months ago, any reading on ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I do on occasion (various other threads without solutions) get a positive test result for phosphates. I picked up a new test kit a few weeks back even though API told me my other was still good. Same test results with both kits.

So unless someone advises me otherwise, and I take that advice, I'm trying something new. I have removed the sock filter. Shut down both the Carbon and GFO reactors. I'm going to leave them off until I see a change in any test result. Even then I will ask before I change again. Makes me cringe thinking about not having anything but the skimmer going. (Other thread about skimmer has been posted) I just hope things don't get out of control so quickly I can't compensate!

It has been suggested that My water is too clean. YIKES? This may be true. I've been so paranoid about getting green algae or another outbreak of cyano that I've been kinda nuts about water quality. Running carbon, GFO, skimmer and filter socks. I have never gotten, since the cycle of this tank finished 11 months ago, any reading on ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I do on occasion (various other threads without solutions) get a positive test result for phosphates. I picked up a new test kit a few weeks back even though API told me my other was still good. Same test results with both kits.

So unless someone advises me otherwise, and I take that advice, I'm trying something new. I have removed the sock filter. Shut down both the Carbon and GFO reactors. I'm going to leave them off until I see a change in any test result. Even then I will ask before I change again. Makes me cringe thinking about not having anything but the skimmer going. (Other thread about skimmer has been posted) I just hope things don't get out of control so quickly I can't compensate!

I'll be curious to see how this works. Like I said, I raised the nitrates in my tank and my soft corals took off growing! I've also found that up to about 20 nitrates, I still had very little algae growth. I'll be interested to see if you have a similar experience as me!

This is what I would do if I was you. Remove the Filter sock, let the water run through. Run the Carbon once every other week for a 24hour period to polish your water only. Keep running the GFO.

What no one asked was what food are you feeding?

I run a 0 nutrient system, everything is 0. My zoas and palys are growing and the color is fantastic. I also feed a variety of frozen foods, including 2 that I made, and Rods Food. The fish, and the coral all eat.

You may also wanna think about adding Phyto-Feast for your zoas and other filter feeders. Fuel, as Smitty mentioned earlier is an excellent product.

I did mention that the bulbs are fairly new. Right at 2 months old. I also posted in the equipment section about my lights. If you have a suggestion please post there! I'm open to suggestions. I can't go MH however.

I did mention that the bulbs are fairly new. Right at 2 months old. I also posted in the equipment section about my lights. If you have a suggestion please post there! I'm open to suggestions. I can't go MH however.

Its not how old they are its the brand your using.

I personally would buy ATI bulbs if i were you. You wont regret it. Just my two cents. If your LFS doesnt carry them most websites that sell SW equipment will. Find a place close to you so it cuts back on shipping charges.

Dana

Its not how old they are its the brand your using.

I personally would buy ATI bulbs if i were you. You wont regret it. Just my two cents. If your LFS doesnt carry them most websites that sell SW equipment will. Find a place close to you so it cuts back on shipping charges.

Dana

+1 Dana. I don't think you mentioned the spectrum of your bulbs either.

Back