Help guys

mikej2336

Reefing newb
i have an angelfish (emperor juv. about 3-4 inches) and is not eating for about 2 weeks now i tried pellets, brines, bloodworms, mysis, fresh clams etc. do u have any suggestions on how can i save this fish from dying???

Is he in the main tank or a quarantine / hospital tank tank ?
Is your water quality good?
Is he being picked on by other fish?

Okay, I'm gonna break the pattern and give a suggestion instead of asking follow up questions.

Buy some garlic extract and soak his food in the garlic before feeding. Or make the garlic extract yourself and soak his food.

Try feeding sponge formula to him, this is there natural diet. Also, you could get a live sponge at a LFS and put in there while he gets used to frozen. I was lucky and got one that fed right away, but ive had some angels that never did and eventually starved. If you have a well established tank, with some algae in there he should be fine. Good luck, i love my emp angel, they are the best fish in the world. A LFS here in STL has a 15 yr old Emp angel that is so tame it will eat out of your hand "Petey" is beautiful.

RIP Emperor, Flame Angel and Clown Tang :( it all happend 3 weeks ago they all died one after the other :( the emperor didnt eat and starved to death and he introduced ich to my Flame and Clown Tang.i thought they could fight ich coz they wer eating but i was wrong. BTW i bought a PRotomarin coral coz one of my clownfish infected with the same problem. I dont have a QT so im doin this in my main tank just so u guys know. Im through with the seven day period which is indicated in the protomarin instructions but ich is still there, and i did a 30% water change. i dont what to do next should i wait or should i do another set and start again from day 1.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken,Protomarin Coral is supposed to be safe for inverts.So basically,its not going to have much of an effect on the ick parasite.
I'd suggest sitting up a small QT,something like a 10 gallon with just a heater and HOB filter.Use water from your display to fill it.Then you can either use hyposalinity or something like Cupramine,or Super Ick-Cure.
Any medications that are strong enough to be effective is going to kill everything in your sand and rock too.Never medicate your display if you ever plan to have any kind of inverts.

yeap i have yellow tang, sailfin, purple firefish, yellowtail damsel, sixline, cleaner shrimp and some turbos. Of all the medication out there which one is the best to use? I've had bad experience when it comes to ick medication they just dont work for me. Sad to say, i never solve ick problem before they always end up killin all my livestock and that's the reason why i dont like Regal(my favorite fish) as much as i like them.

The reason their not working,is because your using the ones that are suppose to be invert safe.The ick parasite is an invert,so if its invert safe,its not going to have much effect on the ick.

you need to medicate the fish seperate from the main tank with copper and leave the tank fishless for at least 6 weeks, you can get a hippo tang just qt it in copper efore you put it in to the main tank once ich is dead it will not come back unless you either did not kill it all or re introduce it into the tank.

What others have said is true. The medication you are using is not effective against ich. It may say it is, but it doesn't work 100%. If it is invert safe, it will not kill all the ich. And the only way you can rid your main tank of ich is by removing ALL your fish from it, and leaving it empty of fish for several months. In the meantime, all your fish that you've removed need to be quarantined and treated using a method that DOES kill ich, such as copper or hyposalinity.

That sounds like a hassle, and it is. Your other option is to live with having ich in your tank (which is what most of us do) and try to keep your fish healthy enough so that they don't come down with it. If you minimize stress and keep your fish eating, they probably won't ever have problems with ich.

If you buy really difficult and sickly fish like clown tangs, well that changes things :) Those fish are really susceptible to any and all diseases out there, and will probably get sick just from you looking at them funny.

Stick with tough fish, and you should be okay.

Back