Help - Heater Broken

Amba

Ol' Salty
For some reason my heater just gave out. I can't get a new one until tomorrow and it gets cold here at night. Temp has dropped 4 degrees it is now 79. What do I do?

Honestly I would think the water bottle trick but in reverse. Get a water bottle fill it with hot water, and let it go. If you have a sump put it in there that way its not a drastic change but if you have to put it in the main tank do it.

When you buy a heater in the morning, buy TWO, many people here, including me, keep spares on hand for just that emergency

Also when you do get your heater, dont heat your tank back up to normal in just a single days. You dont want the temp to change more than a couple of degrees every day, so slowly warm it back up. Big temperature swings, like all big swings, can be very damaging to our critters.

Tank temp was 82.5 degrees, after I noticed the heater it was 79.3. I wrapped it in a blanket and cranked my thermostat to 85. I woke up and the tank temp was 82.2. I got up early and bought three heaters, one to replace the broken one and two spares in case all my heaters decide to fail at the same time I shall be prepared.

<3 Thermodynamics

heat-equation-01.gif

<3

I also should note that posting the partial dx for the heat equation is equivalent to an abundance of laughter at your witty pun. That was punny! HA.

Last edited:
It's easy to work with and it has practical applications so you can actually see it working. (Physics is the greatest, but since you need math to do physics math is the most important thing ever!)

I would be seriously worried if either of us couldn't do that especially because it's a high school formula LOL

I ment the heat equations from high school physics. We never did partials either but we did the real basics (power rule chain rule blah blah blah).

Have you taken real analysis?

cauchy sequences, intermediate value theorem, banach spaces, partials and implicit differentiation (from calc 2), differential equations

Here is a class you can take right after real analysis, description from Harvard's website (I do not go to Harvard).

This is probably the most difficult undergraduate math class in the country; a variety of advanced topics in mathematics are covered, and problem sets ask students to prove many fundamental theorems of analysis and linear algebra. Class meets three hours per week, plus one hour of section, and problem sets can take anywhere from 24 to 60 hours to complete. This class is usually small and taught by a well-established and prominent member of the faculty whose teaching ability can vary from year to year. A thorough knowledge of multivariable calculus and linear algebra is almost absolutely required, and any other prior knowledge can only help. Students who benefit the most from this class have taken substantial amounts of advanced mathematics and are fairly fluent in the writing of proofs. Due to the necessity of working in groups and the extensive amount of time spent working together, students usually meet some of their best friends in this class. The difficulty of this class varies with the professor, but the class often contains former members of the International Math Olympiad teams, and in any event, it is designed for people with some years of university level mathematical experience. In order to challenge all students in the class, the professor can opt to make the class very, very difficult.

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Back