Help i have ick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisamarie806

Reefing newb
I have ick in my tank, but it is only on the clown fish. I noticed these spots oh my clown a couple of days ago, fist he would have spots the next day he would have none, now he has several on him again, the rest of my fish have not had any signs of ick at all. I also have a bubble tip anem. in my tank, I read you should remove any invertebrates before adding any meds. I used a med called Greenex, have you ever heard of it? I was told that you do not have to remove the inverts. when using this product. My clown, he eats well and is active in the tank, he looks a little think....but like I said he eats very good. what do you think of this problem, that the rest of my fish do not have any signs of ick and now the clown looks like he has lost some of his white spots again.
Thanks again

I've never heard of Greenex.But I can say that if it invert safe,then its not going do anything for the ick.
You'll have to QT your clown and treat him with copper to kill the ick parasites.DO NOT treat him in the main tank with live rock,sand and inverts.

+1 Yote. Don't put any kind of medication in your main tank. Just buy a 10 gal tank (they are cheap) and use it as a quarantine tank and treat the fish in there instead. As long as your fish is eating, i wouldnt worry too much.

Ich is a tough parasite to kill. A lot tougher than your inverts are. The only medication that has been proven effective against ich is copper, which is fatal to inverts. If a medication leaves the inverts alive, it will surely leave at least some of the ich too.

And even if it does say invert safe, it doesn't really mean it is. I ended up killing my bubble tip anemone with an "invert safe" medication. And I followed the directions and everything.

Better to either let the fish fight it off itself, or medicate it in a quarantine tank. And medicating just one fish won't do any good either, since all your fish have it and are carrying it, they just aren't showing the symptoms. If you just medicate the clownfish, as soon as you put him back in the tank with the other fish, he'll get it again.

You can also use hypo-salinity if you have another thank big enough to use. You would put all your fish in a separate tank and gradually lower the salinity to 1.09. Leave it there for six to eight weeks and all ich should be gone. The ich that was in the original tank would die as well since it wouldn't have a carrier. The tough thing with hypo is you can't use it with inverts. I am also pretty certain you can't use it with corals. A google search will give you accurate and detailed information if your interested.

I had similar problem. My clowns would in morning have ick than within several hours no ick. I still find that my fish will sometimes have ick spots in the morning early and gone when I look next! All my fish are health and feeding well. It is like that while fish are sleeping ick would attach themselves to fish and then when the fish become active they disappear! I did however find that while ick was at its worst that I had a touch of ammonia in tank due to slight cycling from adding additional live rock.

I would be inclined not to treat unless ick is remaining on fish all day and they are not feeding.

Back