help ID this beautiful wrasse, please!

monkiboy

Reefing newb
got this "pink-line polynesian wrasse" from PEA and am waiting for an email or call back on specific information from their manifest

does anyone know the species and genus of this fish. everything online came back to PEA and wanted to learn more about it from other folks' experience besides what i was told about it from PEA.

this is the wrasse in question -
2e86210d-4d4b-435b-9ab8-002c4bcfc2a4_zpsdfd812ed.jpg

i was told it was reef safe but might pick on inverts and was housed with a black tang and hawkfish. was looking for more specific individual experiences about temperament, size, sex color morphing characteristics, reef compatibility, etc.

thanks for any information you can provide!

It looks like an Australian Rainbow Wrasse (one of many color variations).
They are known to nip at corals every now and then.

They are also more notorious for carpet surfing. So an aquarium lid is a must.

Very nice looking fish. I don't know the fish but don't you consider research before the purchase important?
yeah, she's pretty. yes, i think research prior to purchase is imperative for most folks. like i mentioned i got most of the low down from the supplier and was looking for personal experience. i qt and prophylactically treat fish for a few local board members so if it didn't go into my tank, after going through my standard protocol it would be snatched up by one of them. i wouldn't purchase a fish without a permanent home available unless it is an emergency case to save the fish and i have the room in qt/hospital tank space.

It looks like an Australian Rainbow Wrasse (one of many color variations).
They are known to nip at corals every now and then. They are also more notorious for carpet surfing. So an aquarium lid is a must.
thank you for the reply. a lid is a must for any tank with fish it, really. too many beautiful fishies go that way. :(

that's really close and in the same family but different genus according to fishbase and LA. it's a thalassoma quinquevittatum i came to find out. LA states the rainbow is t. lucasanum where blue zoo says t. quinquevittatum is also called rainbow. so maybe you're right based on who you listen to, haha. not a coral muncher from the reading i've done since learning its species and genus but too aggressive for where i am in stocking my tank right now so i'll make her available to my local reefing buddies.

thanks again guys!

Outstanding plan Monki.....also just for reference, the fishes you mentioned are all Thalassoma but differing beyond that, the Thalassoma is the Genus and the lesser names are the species. You mentioned them backwards...no slight or insult meant, just wanted to let you know...

Outstanding plan Monki.....also just for reference, the fishes you mentioned are all Thalassoma but differing beyond that, the Thalassoma is the Genus and the lesser names are the species. You mentioned them backwards...no slight or insult meant, just wanted to let you know...
ah yes, meant to say "...that's really close and in the same family but different genus species..."

Back