Help! I'm a noob!

hermione423

Reefing newb
Okay, so I have never had a saltwater system before, and there are so many options for filtration! Someone help me! I have heard wet/dry is good, but then I've heard canisters are great as well, so I just really have no clue where to start. I have a 55 gal and want to start w/ LOWR. Right now a reef tank is just too complicated for me to start with I think. Please give me some direction here cause I don't know anyone who actually has a saltwater tank!

IMO I would forget about the cannister( just a nitrate factory) I would just make sure I had plenty of live rock 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon with a good sand base and a good protein skimmer( like an octopus) with a couple smaller powerheads , like maxi jet 1200 ( in for some water movement...
That way when your ready to try your hand at corals you are most of the way there. :D

Last edited:
+1 on the cannister. They're more hassle than they are worth for saltwater (the wet/dry filters as well). A sump with a refugium is the best way to go, in my opinion.

Do not use a cannister unless you plan on cleaning it once a week. You can start with that for the first few days and then plan on getting it out of there. All you need is live rock and a skimmer, water changes once a week, 10% . You should go with a sump with a fuge and a skimmer, plus the powerheads as mentioned earlier.

I would say do not use a canister filter unless you are willing to clean out completely every 3 days! BUT do not throw it out --keep it for an emergency. If there is a build up some toxin in your tank like copper, ammonia, phosphates, etc., a canister filter can work wonders if you pack it with the right media and run it for 48 hours.

Okay, I've been reading up on sumps, but do I have to build it myself? Or is there some easier way than having to modify everything and make it custom? Is there a place that sells these or can someone give me some instruction on how to build one and everything I need and how I set it all up? I'm not a very handy girl when it comes to building things...

They're actually really easy to make. Get the biggest tank you can fit under your stand... then all you need is acrylic from Lowe's or Home Depot (they'll cut it to size for you) and some silicone. Silicone the acrylic in place and voila! Sump!

Building your setup aint cheap. It doesn't have to be all live rock. It will become live. And remember you have to cycle the tank. So it will take a few weeks for that. So you can space it out so it don't empty your pockets all at once. Remember patience will build a successful tank.

So, from what I've gathered, I should go ahead and get a good skimmer, 2 power heads (1 for each side of the tank), the heater and airlines, set all that up and PRE- mix saltwater before I put it in the tank (R/O water only) and put in live rock as well. Let that cycle and the tank mature, and while I got all that going I should worry about the whole sump thing? Or should I use something else for a filter while I look for a good sump/build one???? Filters are confusing...I think my head's spinning....lol

No need to build your own sump....if you do it wrong, you run the risk of have it leak. You can just buy a used tank from craigslist or, like a lot of people, just use a nice sturdy rubbermaid tub. You can even buy a 20g from walmart (or whatever you can fit under your tank).

It's best to set your whole system up before putting in the live rock and sand, IMO. I always did a trial run w/ just tap water, to check for leaks, to make sure everything is running like it should. Then just drain all the tap out, and start loading things.

Don't forget to get a good liquid test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If you use live rock, no need to get it ALL live...get some live, the rest just base rock. The live rock will seed the base rock in no time. You may or may not even see a cycle, but it's best to test everyday for a couple of weeks to be sure. Patience is golden :)

No need for any sort of filter, your rock will be the filter.

And you dont use airlines/bubble in marine tanks, it screws with the pH of the tank.

I don't mean to confuse things for you, a sump and refugium are the ideal way to go. I am basing that on all I have read on this really informative site. I am a noob too...with a 55 gallon and a Reef Octopus hang on back skimmer.I have a hang on filter and then discovered this site and learned, as you have, that... with enough live rock and water flow...filters are overrated. Because I had already purchased a hang on back skimmer,own a filter, and want to try to avoid the plumbing of a sump, I am entertaining a different approach.

I am gonna try to take my aquaclear 500 hang on filter and convert it into a mini refugium using some live rock rubble and cheato algae (there is a thread somewhere on here on how to do it) Hang a light over it and see if I can get the benefits of a refugium, with the conveniece of a hang on. Do frequent water changes and see how it goes.If it doesnt work out I will convert to a sump. You should do the sump if you can as you havent started yet, but there are options...also they do sell pre made sumps and fuges...you don't HAVE to make it yourself...but its way cheaper....hope I didn't confuse you....I think I'm confused myself...

Back